PanPan - a virtual lifeline on your smartphone

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by panpan, May 16, 2016.

1. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi CDK, when you cruise to Italy, I love to know whether the Italian coastline has better reception for your Mobile phone, then Croatia. Will you test that for me? How often do you cross the sea?. Bert

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Last time I did that mobile phones were the size of a small suitcase and were only used by heads of state and very rich businessmen. I had a VHF set back then but never used it in Italy.

3. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Yes, 25 years ago I bought a Siemens Car Phone for Rand 17.000. Not even 2 months later the announcement was made a mobile phone and network system for Rand 400. I can guarantee you, I was not a States man nor a rich Business man. Just a sucker which could not predict the future !!!!. But I thought you were rich, living at the most beautiful part of Croatia at the coast and the even with a massive motorboat!!! I have only a humble small cabin cruiser. Pity that you don't go often to Italy anymore.

I love to know what the experience is from other sailors. Mybe we should have a poll in the main design part. More sailors are reading that part.

Here some pictures whereby you can see on my wife's phone the 2 bar reception from France. You cannot even see France in the distance on the other picture. Bert

Attached Files:

4. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi CDK, I am back in South Africa. After eating a toasted cheese sandwich in Dubai for 22 dollar, which cost in our country 1/10 i.e. 2,10 Dollar. It looks like I had to be rich to afford a breakfast.

I read now in our local "Sea Rescue" magazine, that Smartfind S20 from the UK looks similar. I think now also that PanPan has to drop the price. Bert

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.