Painting

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by daedong, Jul 4, 2006.

1. daedong

daedong Junior Member

2. daedong

daedong Junior Member

I don't believe that no one has any advice, come on share you knowlege:confused:

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

A lot of people really like the bare aluminum... some go to great lengths to keep it looking welding-shop fresh, even polishing for hours before and after each trip!
    If you want paint, Awlgrip and Interlux are popular. Interlux dealers have a lot of free booklets that detail exactly what surface preps and priming techniques are needed for the common hull materials. You'll want a urethane paint; the 2-part ones are more durable but the 1-part are a bit easier to use. Unless you have a car body shop's downdraft spray booth, and the skills to use one, your best bet is the roll-and-tip method. The technique is detailed in the Interlux brochures.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Dupont makes Imron, which is used in a large percentage of aircraft. It is well suited to use outdoors.

5. daedong

daedong Junior Member

Thans for the advice so far.

I have never done any serious spray-painting before so bear with me. I had a flying trip to the city so I thought I would get some paint and bits and pieces to paint. I went to Pro-tech spoke to them and come home with boxes of stuff. Thinners, etch pro, acrylic primer, acrylic lacquer, W,G remover, lightweight filler, etc. I talked to them about acid washing first and they assured me I don’t need to do it on new material. I guess my next question is can someone talk me through the steps from go to whoa. I’m not looking for a professional job, I am just looking for something reasonable. By the way, I will only be painting insides and sides, not the bottom.

Vin

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.