What have I done? New Project

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by redkiller71, Mar 27, 2006.

1. redkiller71

redkiller71 New Member

I started a new project this weekend. 1988 18' Skeeter Bass Boat. Seemed to be a good project at the time, but now I am having my doubts. I'll pose my questions to the experts. Floor needs to be replaced and the stringers have a few soft spots so I will do them also. I am considering removing the top cap.

1. What are the problems with removing the top cap? It looks like I can go down the line and drill out the rivets, then remove the top cap to have access. Yes, I now understand that I need to build a cradle, after reading several posts on the subject, but what other problems can I expect?

2. The red metal flake/gelcoat on the hull is in good shape. A little buffing and it will be good. However, the top cap is in ruins. The top layer of gelcoat is gone, leaving exposed metal flake. Much of the red color on the metal flakes has been rubbed off. I am considering sanding it down and re-gelcoating/metal flaking. I don't feel like painting the top cap is an option. Can you do metal flake in paint? Seems like they do it on cars, will the same method work here?

2. dereksireci

dereksireci Senior Member

Top cap

I'm sure it's a matter of regional dialect but what is a top cap? Is that what some call a deck?

If so the deck is most likely secured to the hull in places with bonding putty, unless it's a ring deck that is not connected to the floor. If you un-rivet it and pull up real hard the deck will come off. It's always a bit of a thrill to hear that sick cracking sound just before the parts let go. Sometimes things get damaged in the process but anything can be fixed. I would have some booze handy just in case.

I don't know about applying metal flake gelcoat but I do know that finding somebody good at repairing it is rare. Don't damage the hull gel.

My suggestion is to have a professional look at it before you start. Then ignore his advice and do whatever you please. Go for it!

djs

3. redkiller71

redkiller71 New Member

That's it!

I guess you could call it a deck also. Forgive my ignorance in the terminology.

I have followed your advice.

Drink heavily, check!

Ignore everyone telling me to throw this piece of $@%T away, check!

Gone for it! I have drilled most of the rivets at the joint of the hull and the deck. I've started to pry it up.

Once I have all the rivets drilled out, what else could hold the two pieces together besides wires, hoses, and cables?

4. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

The deck is probably sealed with caulking. Use a knife and run it across the edge to separate the deck. Make sure the hull (bottom) is well supported when you separate the deck otherwise you will have problems setting the deck back on.

5. dereksireci

dereksireci Senior Member

deck removal

Don't worry about terminology because things are given different names in various parts of the world. Ever heard of a "Texas transom"?

Now please forgive my ignorance because I have no idea what a 1988 18' Skeeter Bass Boat looks like! If the deck is a continous pliece of fiberglass from the hull/deck joint to where you stand inside the boat, then the deck floor is usually connected to the stringers with bonding putty of some type. Lift the deck by something solid, like the cleats. If there is an inspection plate over the fuel tank put a strong board or something in there an lift by that too. Lift from as many places as possible and work the deck off the hull without destroying it.

Once it breaks loose in one area move to another area and get it to break loose some place else. Remember the boat was built with the intent of the deck and hull staying together forever. Sometimes the putty/fiberglass joint will fail and sometimes the outer layer of the glass will fail and a bit (hopefully just a bit) of fiberglass will stay with the putty. Stick your head under there and try to see what's there. Once it gets going you'll be fine. Good luck.

djs