Marinepoxy

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Steve W, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Just wondering about the viscosity of this brand and how well it will wet out heavier fabrics, I have never tried this brand but I know Par always recommends it as a lower cost alternative to the big name brands. I have been using Aeromarine for a couple of years and quite like it but they only offer one hardener, its time to order so i thought id try something new (to me). Properties that are important to me are low viscosity and high elongation and preferably a range of hardeners.
    Im not looking for suggestions of a whole slew of offerings, just ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with this brand and perhaps Progressive also.

Steve.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Marinepoxy is about middle of the road, not quite as thin as RAKA, but better then West 105 series. I has slow regular and fast hardeners. The slow is pretty good here in Florida, but not quite as slow as West 209. West 209 will have about 45 minutes of working time in a our typical summer heat, while Marinepoxy's slow will be about 35 - 40 minutes.

Wetout is good, though I use fairly thin fabrics mostly. Call Joel over at Bateau.com, as he works with it regularly and can offer some more information. If I had to compare it to a major brand, it's much like SilverTip from SystemThree.

Also call Paul at Epoxyproducts.com, both he and Joel at Bateau are approachable and knowledgeable. Paul has more formulations to offer then Marinepoxy and much better chemical understanding as well.

3. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Thanks Paul, I was hoping you would respond as I know you use the stuff, I had requested the physical properties (by e mail) but just got an e mail saying they have no spec sheet so i have no way of knowing, i cant just buy it without some basic specs a as ive made that mistake before unfortunately. I will give Joel a call tomorrow as i cant believe they don't know at least the viscosity and elongation.

Steve.

4. PAR

They haven't paid for independent testing (read expensive) for physical properties, but you should be able to garnish enough from Joel as to it's suitability in your application(s). For me it's one of the better of the low cost, retail level, hand layup resins systems. It's summer, so I'm using my proprietary formulated super slow now, but Marinepoxy is a good recommendation for the home builder.

5. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

How would you rate the elongation, in the absence of actual data, would you say it is closer to West 105 or the original Systems Three. I havn't used the Silver tip.

Steve.

6. PAR

Closer to the original System Three.

7. UNCIVILIZED

UNCIVILIZED DIY Junkyard MadScientist

PAR, thanks for sharing the info. I know that such, particularly in this case, info(literally) = $.

Andy

8. pauloman

pauloman Epoxy Vendor

hello everyone - been sort of out of it - wife dying from brain cancer....

viscosity is mosly only important as far as not draining away from the cloth. once you use cloth most of the properties come from that. bigger issues are brittleness, 'friendliness' to work with etc. warm weather grearly lowers the viscosity of the resin. slow cures are popular in temps in the 80s and above.

bottom line is that most epoxies have similar characterists - slightly different visc, slighty different pot lives, etc. - there are a lot of epoxies because they all pretty much get the job done, but you want a formulated epoxy and not one that is simply repackaged resins from the raw material supplier.

paul oman - pregressive epoxy polymers inc

Angélique likes this.
  9. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Thanks guys, I have used thousands of gallons of epoxy from many manufacturers in nearly 45 years in the boatbuilding and sporting goods (snowboard) industries so I know a bit about what i want and don't want and i agree that most epoxies will get the job done just fine. I prefer resins that will wet out heavier fabric easier and i absolutely will not pay money for epoxy that cures brittle so if marinepoxy is closer to systems three that's good. I may just give it a try.
    Paul, i have been aware of your products for years but i have never tried them only because i find the website incredibly frustrating to navigate, i just don't want to invest that much time, i don't mind admitting, im not a computer guy so i like simple clear sites.

Steve.

10. PAR

Steve, give Paul a phone call and he can fill you in on what his products can do, faster than strolling through the site, which does take some getting use to.

Marinepoxy is a refined formulation, with the slow being as non-blush as you can get, unless you laminate in the rain.

Progressive's products are also refined formulations, so give him a yell.

Paul, glad to see you post again and my sincere sympathies for you and your wife. Hang tough my friend, you'll be in my prayers.

Angélique likes this.
  11. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

hank Paul, I did give Joel a call and after talking with him for a while he pretty much confirmed your assessment so I went ahead and ordered a 3 gallon kit which should give me plenty to evaluate. I will give Paul Oman a call as i would like to try some of his epoxy sometime.

Steve.

12. PAR

Paul at Progressive has a much higher level of expertise than Joel. He also offers several more formulations, one or two (maybe more) likely being ideal for your needs Steve. He might be able to do custom formulations, which is what I've resorted to in the summer months (I use a local formulator). He and you live on the same parallel (there about), so maybe a super fast, that actually cures in the winter? I'd also be happy to here your results with the Marinepoxy you do use, if only for my need to absorb more data before I'm dead.

13. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Update, I received the marinepoxy and have used it to wet out some DB1700 on fir plywood which it wet out easily, kicked fairly quickly even with the medium hardener at moderate temperature and is not too brittle, so far i like it. I will be using it to laminate some 34oz triax in the next week so we'll see how that goes. I also received some samples from Paul which i have yet to try.

Steve.

14. idkfa

idkfa Senior Member

How do you test brittleness, maybe wet-out a 4" by 12" 6oz of glass and bend with weight, compare with a known "good" resin?:confused:

15. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

lurking

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.