painting a boat mould?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by whacker82, May 18, 2012.

1. whacker82

whacker82 Senior Member

had a look there to see if my supplier had the Maguires wax. i think this might be the same one or brand Jeremy Harris but there is a difference in the spelling with both products

[​IMG]

2. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Be very careful about switching waxes.Mirror Glaze is an excellent wax,are you absolutely sure that the wax previously applied to the mould is compatible with it?It may be best to thoroughly clean the mould and then build up several coats.
    There are special paints for re-surfacing moulds,its some years since I had current knowledge of them-Re-face was one brand name.If the mould gets too bad,you can take a heavy layup from it and finish it to an acceptable standard to make a new mould from.When you have,throw the hammer away.

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

You have comitted the ultimate sin

YOU NEVER HIT A MOULD !! NOT AT ALL AT ANY TIME !!
    YOU NOW HAVE STAR CRACKS IN YOUR MOULD YOU SILLY PERSON :eek:AND THEY WILL PROGESSIVLY GET WORSE AS TIME GOES BY :eek:. GET YOU RUBBER HAMMER AND WALK OUTSIDE AND THROW IT AS FAR AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN :mad:!! REGUARDLESS OF SIZE WATER IS IT THE EASYEST WAY TO GET A CLINKER OUT OF A MOULD :cool:SIT THE MOULD UP THE RIGHT WAY AND RELEASE ROUND THE EDGE!! A SMALL WEDGE AND OPEN AND PUT THE END OF THE GARDEN HOSE IN THERE AND GENTLY TURN THE TAP USUALLY TAKES ABOUT A LITRE OR TWO AND ITSIMPLY FLOATS OUT !!!REALLY QUITE SIMPLE AND THEN THE PRODUCT IS NOT DAMMAGED THE MOULD IS ONLY WET AND UNDAMMAGED AMD EVERY THING IS 100% iTS WHAT YOU WILL HAVE TO DO FROM NOW ON !!
    THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO GET RID OF STAR CRACKS IS TO GRIND THE DAMMAGED GELCOAT OFF AND RE-GEL AND SAND AND POLISH AGAIN !! LET IT BE A LESSON TO YOU !! NEVER HIT A MOULD OR FOR THAT MATTER THE PRODUCT EITHER OR YOU CAN AND WILL STAR CRACK THAT WAS WELL !!! :eek: :(THINK BOY !!:(
    If you had worked in my shop you would be walking home with your tail between you legs and not coming back !!! :mad:you silly boy !!

note I see someone saying to use compressed air thats just about as bad . If you happen to have a stick up you will destroy one ot the other of both .
    Bad tricks are not good tricks 1! Water is simple and very effective its gental and works every time the lifting power is tremendous ! any hull no matter what size will never even get close to its water line and will have released out !! i always do it!! a simple wipe out and the mould is ready for use again ! rewax and go for it !!

4. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

Sorry, I got the spelling wrong, it is Meguires Mirror Glaze I use.

5. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Hey T man, enough of the caps lock eh bro, the guys only bumped it through lack of knowledge, now if he was told not to & did it any way that would be worth sending him home, if your running the shop, your responsible for the competence & training. All the best from Jeff.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.