Paint type best to cover texured fibergalss deck and catwalks

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by northrivergeek, Feb 23, 2009.

1. northrivergeek

northrivergeek Resin Sniffer

I have someone that wants me to paint their 38ft house boat decks that are Gelcoat now with a funky textured orange and white splatter gelcoat finish.

He wants me to Paint over it to make it all white or all black .. what kind of paint should I paint this over with > ? Awlgrip Interlux etc .. or something else altogether ?
    may I should just talk him into carpet LOL .. with the texture its gonna be tuff to sand in for paint to stick , or even gelcoat, the texture is not sand .. its bumpy like a knock down dry wall ceiling.

He also has a fly bridge floor that has a 5x7 rotten place that he wants me to fix.. but it too has the textured me .. but its all white at least .. he wants me to match the texture on the floor over the new patched area :(

ANy ideas ? Suggestions ? ..

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Truck bed liner coating. It sticks good, is relatively inexpensive, lasts a long time, is non-skid and can be had in different colors.

3. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Good recommendation. Also, truck bed carpet as it is almost indestructable ( oil, gas, paint, battey acid) and never stains and comes in colors. does not fade.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Any type of carpet over the soles, decks etc. is inviting rotten substrates, mold, mildew, etc. A coating is much better and more reliable.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.