hard top project

Discussion in 'Materials' started by bobberjockey, Mar 19, 2006.

1. bobberjockey

bobberjockey New Member

i would like to fab a hard top for a bertram 28 and have a few questions on materials and lay up schedule. i plan on making a female mold for the top side and gelcoating then glass-core-glass. for the bottom side i would like to bond frp in thin panel form, bond and fair joints and then paint or gel. does this make sense? is there a better method? whats the best core material for this? want to keep it light.

ps what is the best core material to replace the rotton material attached to the bottom of the cockpit deck?
    thanks

2. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Bobber,

Use a male mold instead, a convex surface is much easier to fair. If you non-skid the top after fairing it out it'll look good the few times you actually see it.

Yoke.

3. bobberjockey

bobberjockey New Member

thanks for your help
    do you think that plate aluminum could be bedded in at the frame attachments
    and threaded or should it be through bolted?

4. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Yes, you could, but I'd prefer G-10 instead.

Yoke.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.