Paint over Epoxy

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Manie B, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi guys,

What do you do in difficult to reach places, INSIDE the boat.

All my wood is coated in epoxy but to sand the blush down or even to wash it off is rather tricky in some hard to reach corners, some are also upside down.

I would not realy like to leave it just plain epoxy on wood and would like to paint everywhere.

How well does paint stick to blush that was not cleaned properly or sanded fully?

I am trying to do a really good job where ever i can as much as i can.

This pic is off the net, but at least it gives you some kind of idea where i am trying to get in.

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      23 KB
      Views:
  2. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Yep, working on boats keeps us old guys flexible, with scraped knuckles.

You are correct you really need to sand and clean, but be very careful about what you use down stairs. I don't like to use anything stronger that alcohol. That gets me to a nice high with out being too dangerous. The real key is to get a coat of primer on those hard to reach places. You should be able buy it in spray containers, if not buy the reusable ones if they sell it over there, By the way STOP Sending those dam Hurricanes. Again if you use the spray cans, which work very nicely for the interior, Use fans, and lots of ventilation.

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Thanks Kaptin-Jer

here were i am in sunny (reads arid and dusty) South Africa i can assure you that we cant send nuttin, this crowd is so useless they need assistance to **** :D :D :D you can take people out of the bush but you cant take the bush out of them, they still walk and ****, he he he:D :D :D so - Hurricane ? - forget it, we cant even send mail without it getting stolen:D :D :D if i could send them over there they would probably try to steal your hurricane :D :D :D

4. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

As long as it is where the sun doesn't shine,, pun.. it
    won't hurt the epoxy. You can get pigment to mix with
    the epoxy also.

I have glued sand paper to paint stirring sticks to get in
    some tight spots as well. some times a small scrapper
    will help if you are careful.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Place several gallons of solvent in the bilge, lift the boat on a sling, rigged under a fork lift. Then drive the fork lift at maximum speed down a pothole laden road. This will wash off your blush. This trick works well for paint and epoxy too, though runs and sags can be an issue.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.