Paint Help!

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by DeputyMike, Nov 6, 2006.

1. DeputyMike

DeputyMike Junior Member

I am completely renovating a 20' 1988 Renken Classic (bowrider). The gelcoat is pretty faded so I want to either paint it or have it painted. I can't seem to find anyplace to give me a quote for the paint job (i am doing all the prep work myself, but am not sure if i could do a good enough paint job on my own). I live in Raleigh, NC and if anybody here knows someplace near me that could give me a quote, that would be great. Also, if anyone could give me any advice on painting it myself, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

Well blindly talking here, normally most all gelcoat hulls of any age should be primed before putting a two part high gloss paint on it. Fiberglass hulls distort over time, too. So the more shiny it is, the worse the paint job looks even if the paint is applied to perfection. Be prepared to pay a good spray man, if you get him to spray it in a booth to charge at least 1,000 bucks, with paint included just for the exterior of the hull. If you hire out the complete boat about five grand, if they do all the work, if not rework on the glass is required.

In most cases, thats with little to no prep or spoting in. You will need to like your hull a lot if you pay someone to do the whole job. In most cases few painters will just spray it, unless you know him cause of the outcome.

What this all amounts to is what will you be satisfied with in the end? Do you have any redos in your area that you can say to the guy, hey this is what I want and what will you charge me. Ask some of the marine sales folks in that area. Make a call to Collins in Smithfield and also see if they have any recommendations for you of a good gelcoat guy that can look at the boat from a professional point fo view and gauge the condition of your present finish and let them give you a price to chew on for a bit.

3. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

The going rate is $200/foot. No warranty if you did the prep.

4. Eagle Boats

Eagle Boats Senior Member

If cost is an issue, you may want to try doing everything yourself. It is a fairly easy procedure, but time consuming. Instead of using those fancy two part paints, which are not forgiving, as well as being very deadly, spray it with gelcoat mixed with Duratech High Gloss Additive. I am by no means an expert at spray painting, but I got very good results using this process.

5. eyes

eyes Junior Member

Are you sure you can't get the shine back after a good buff?

6. eyes

eyes Junior Member

Post a pic

7. DeputyMike

DeputyMike Junior Member

prep work?

Ok, since the price is a little out of my league, I guess I will go with my original plan to paint it myself. What will it take as far as prepping the surface goes, ie. what grit sandpaper to take it down too? What kind of priming, etc. will I need to do? I think I will prob be using brushes as opposed to spraying.

Eyes - i considered buffing the boat, but along with a paint job, I am COMPLETELY renovating the boat. New vinyl, new everything, including changing the color. I wanted the stripe around the gunwale to match the color scheme I picked out (Burgundy and White). The old stripe was an ugly *** grey, not sure why anybody would want that on a boat.

8. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

Do the prep yourself and have it sprayed. You will not be happy with a roller or brush job. Make sure it is sealed with an epoxy coating. That is the most important step.

9. DeputyMike

DeputyMike Junior Member

ok, i'm trying to find a 2 part burgundy paint, i wanted interlux, but i can't seem to find that color. any ideas where i can find it? also, do i use bottom paint all the way up to the rub rail? the area directly against the rubrail and for about a foot down is where i want my burgundy color at, so will i need to find a 2 part, burgundy, bottom paint?

10. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

Jim

what time can I expect you down to paint the Trojan??

Attached Files:

11. DeputyMike

DeputyMike Junior Member

uh, didn't answer my question, i've got more than enough work in my own 2 year project!!!

12. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

you bottom paint only that part that is constantly in the water,, and there is a clear I believe

13. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

hey buck. I'm just finishing the stringers on my wifes boat. Give me a call in April. Looks good though.

14. DeputyMike

DeputyMike Junior Member

primer?

does the fiberglass primer have to match the paint brand i decide to go with?

15. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

I would only use a top quality hard cure epoxy primer. I use GLASSHEILD. You can top with any 2 part urethanes. I rarely use the same primer that the manufacturer recommends. But that's just me , been painting for over 30 years. I find that tried and true works better than the techs in the paint co. labs.