paddlewheel boats

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by 60minmacd, Aug 21, 2004.

1. 60minmacd

60minmacd Junior Member

Has anyone seen any info on small, high RPM (1800 rpm+) paddlewheel boats. I am developing one now and I seem to be out here by myself.

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

3. 60minmacd

60minmacd Junior Member

paddlewheel

Gary, thanks for the link. More info there than I have found in the last two years. Looking at the patent, I doubt the boat was ever built. I don't think the designer had a proper grasp of the application. Although the basic concept and elements were there, my studies show quite a different configuration is required.

At this point, I have completed a 1/4 scale model of a 18 foot boat. Weight and balance tests should have been done this weekend, but between the weather and people in the pool, it looks like tomorrow will be the big day.

The pool tests are necessary to determine where the waterline will fall, thereby showing paddle placement. (form follows function).

The model will be carrying quite a bit of test equiptment for sea trials. Two electric motors, 12 volt battery, digital tach, ampmeter and a wireless video camera to transmit the info to a vcr. Plus the R/C controls to operate the model.

Externally, a video camera and radar gun will be used to add to our knowledge base as we adjust the blade depth to different levels. Quite a bit of testing involved.

John

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.