Paddle wheel thrust

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by JosephT, Mar 11, 2013.

1. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Is there any analysis software available to measure paddle wheel thrust?Variables:
    -Size paddles
    -Number of paddles
    -Axis rotation speed
    Result = total thrust/flow (if using flow meter)

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  3. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Wasn't there a discussion about paddle wheels design on this forum, a couple of yrs ago? With good reference papers from some german authors, if I recall it correctly...

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

5. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Thanks for that additional info Daiquiri. It's nice to see a hand-written resource like that.

There is a bit of renewed interest in historical riverboats over the winter as low water conditions on the US Mississippi & Missouri Rivers have allowed archeologists & historians to examine sunken boats. In most cases the main planks are quite well preserved. These are all older boats from the steam power era. Below is an example.

http://kplr11.com/2012/08/17/pictures-drought-reveals-sunken-steam-ship/

Compared to today's boats, these steam boats were quite dangerous. The steam engines could explode and catch the whole boat on fire. Or, as in this case, they could run aground.

I'm sure ocean going steamers had their share of problems too.

Thanks again,

Joe

6. fredrosse

fredrosse USACE Steam

I have some software for paddle propulsion, having built a sidewheeler a few years ago, and fluid dynamics is a large part of my day job. Now in the process of building articulated wheels for the steamer this spring, these arrangements can provide propulsion efficiency that is close to that which is available for screw propellers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.