Packing new stuffing box

Discussion in 'Props' started by Robert Miller, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Robert Miller

Robert Miller Junior Member

I have re-powered my Stone Horse with a Beta 14. New 3/4" shaft with Buck Algonquin spud type stuffing box. Specified packing for that arrangement is 3/8". I've decided to try Gore GFO packing this time.

Only two rings of packing comfortably fit inside spud (gland). Most recommendations advise three. But there really isn't space enough.

What do folks think? Are two rings sufficient, inasmuch as the space for packing material is essentially filled using two?

I appreciate all thoughts here.

Thank you.

Robert

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

No worries, often different packings do not fit the area allocated, just put the seams at 10 and 2 o'clock.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If you have only space for 2 rings then you have little alternative. I would fit them staggered as suggested and use grease.

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...another thing to note, let the job leak at first, tighten as it beds in, this will allow the stuffing to be cooled and not just burnt up. It may take an hour of running to get it right, but it will last a lot longer if done right from the start........certainly remove all of the old stuff.
    You can wrap the new packing around the shaft and then cut through the rolls to get the right sized rings, cut at 90deg for square ends, and they will fit perfectly.

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"I would fit them staggered as suggested and use grease."

'let the job leak at first, tighten as it beds in, this will allow the stuffing to be cooled and not just burnt up."

With Goretex or similar neither of these techniques are desirable, tho staggering the rings is required..

Stick it in , go for a slow ride and tighten just till NO DRIPS!!, and you are done.

That's why you paid all that extra for 21st century packing.

FF

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

"With Goretex or similar neither of these techniques are desirable"....funny you say that, I was sure when I had a meeting with Mr Gore in Sydney years ago, we were discussing this. so I went to their web site, please read the last paragraph of this pdf, it specifically says exactly what I said, let it leak......

http://www.gore.com/MungoBlobs/123/433/fiber_installation_instructions.pdf

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

it specifically says exactly what I said, let it leak......

So it does!

Will check the other brand and see if constant leaking is required.

FF

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I would not say it was required but tolerated, stuffing greasy string into a shaft has been the only way for 100 years. If it is not tight and does not leak I would say it was ok. A grease nipple behind it will ensure a water tight seal when lay up.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.