P bracket---- strut help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sean-nós, Nov 9, 2011.

1. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

Hi guys I am building a crackerbox as you can see below one of the problems I have is the strut I got with the donor boat is a bit short and if I move it forward on the shaft to meet the hull I think the gap between the strut and the prop will be too big at about 3" another thing I could do is raise up the base of the strut on a bit of wood and taper it to the hull but that may work like a trim tab that I might not need,so before I splash out for a new strut:mad: any ideas on how I could make this work :idea:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also I have seen these on the internet are they any good for speedboats as I think it would be easy to set up the shaft angle and then just fix the strut in place. Thanks for any help :)
    [​IMG]

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Can you alter your engine alignment.

If not I would make a wedge from fibre glass and bolt it up, make sure the engine has some adjustment after wards.

A more drastic aproach would be to cut the bracket and re weld.

The bracket will be 15 degrees as that is the normal angle and the engine should be 15 degrees to match it.

3. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

Thanks for the reply Frosty as you can see on my mock up I cant drop the engine any more and if I raise the angle of the shaft the prop will very close to the hull less than 1"
    A wedge would have to be 1 1/2" high to mate the strut to the hull and with the thickness of the strut base that would be 2" in all of a taper.

[​IMG]

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You need to drop the front and raise the back to bring the shaft up to the hull. Those mount are perfect for the job.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.