any 3rd World Windmill (land-bases) designs?s

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I've seen a few ideas for boats for 3rd World here, but how about some sailing rigging expertise to design a land-based windmill?

I'm thinking of something that could be constructed of any sticks or linear material and use any sort of fabric(or thatching) and most likely run a generator/altinator of automotive origin, with possibility of running more than one off the same windmill.

Hopefully, it would be semi-self regulating/flurring/trimming, maybe with a weight on a rope to regulate amount of force being transmitted and/or trim the sails to acheive higher RPMs in lighter winds.

The tricky part would be figuring out a super-low tech method of trimming the sails while they are in motion. Maybe a gate where their relievant parts get adjusted on each revolution?

I'm thinking of something about 20' tall with the post secured by trianglation of 3 ropes.

Gearing it up is another big problem as I imagine the windmill would be turning at approx. 60RPM but an automotive generator wants 1000s of RPMs. Maybe a large diameter crude pulley on the windmill driving a rope which would be tensioned by a weighted pulley?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Just look at any old windmill. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

3. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Your right Gonzo, and there's no point in reinventing the windmill either.:rolleyes:

Australia's full of windmills. There is no need to change the angle of the blades, as they are set to the worste conditions so they are really good in the best conditions.

For electricity they normally charge batteries so the speed of the windmill isn't changed, the current is electrically regulated.

For water, any excess water, when the tank is full, is drained back down the hole it came from, recycling.

Windmills are better manufactured in an industrial area as they can be completely disassembled and transported to site. However for water you need a hole in the ground, bit of a problem.

And electrcity in a 3rd world country isn't much good because you can't eat electricity.

4. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What I like about old windmills is that they are made out of sticks, sometimes brick or stone and natural fiber sails or wooden slats.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Much of the "third world" I have seen both personally and researching for stuff on the web is adequately serviced locally, yet still arrogant fools still try to deliver technology and scale up for "efficiency", without researching that, "that is just overkill and not worth-while" - (Yes put it - we will then have something to sell that is really useless for our situation...)

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

8. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

They are certainly cheap to build, but they are not very efficient. Being drag
    devices they also need a very strong support structure.

Here's an extended version of a paper on another vertical axis device that
    was published today in the journal "Renewable Energy":
    http://www.cyberiad.net/library/pdf/modeling to reduce shaking Cyberiad 23 feb 2012.pdf

The published shorter version is at:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960148112001395

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.