Overpowered engines on a Sailing Cat - consequences?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by neelie, May 10, 2008.

1. neelie

neelie Junior Member

I am looking at a 47 ft Cat, Design Displacement of 26,000 lbs, it has 2 x 100 HP engines installed... yes, a hundred HP per side.

The weight difference from the "usual" 40HP would be nominal, the engines are located in a more central position as they are not sail drives, so I'm guessing that trim may not be a big factor

It is a sailboat and I am wondering why on earth they chose to overpower it.

Apart from guzzling fuel at an alarming rate, are there any other negative structural or seaworthy consequences?

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  2. nero

nero Senior Member

heat produced by the engines will be greater.

Fuel consumption could be less. On big trucks the owners were running bigger engines at lower rpms. They got better milage than heavily taxing a smaller engine.

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hello Neely,

There is nothing wrong with having big motors on a cat, and a 100 is not that big ! 100hp motors are the size on the verge of becomming fuel hungry, so if you take it easy and not open kettels all the way you could travel some distance without paying an arm and a leg for fuel.

Some advantages are, you can turn the boat against a strong wind, something you may not be able to do with a couple of 40hp.

You can use it as a motorised boat and get where you want to go without having to rely on sails, and at speed.

I plan something similar, but smaller - you can choose what it is, a power boat or a sailor.

The sailing option can make it more economic if you're not in a big hurry.

Sounds like a very nice rig though. I don't think the guy lost his marbles, I'd prefer those 100'ds to 40's any time, so if you're putting 40's on send those 100'ds to me ok :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.