help with 1986 7.5 mercury lightning

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by kenrahe, Sep 23, 2010.

1. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

does anyone have a manual that they could send me the step by syep instalation of my lower unit. took off the lower unit to replace water pump impeller and when i went to put back on shifter won't line up except the only position it fits won't give me reversetried every position....HELP

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

3. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

this is for my outboard not and outdrive just wanted some suggestions on what i might be doing wrong or what position the shifter should be in when i slide the lower unit back on

4. PAR

I'm pretty sure the shifter rod needs to be in reverse to be in position to reattach when they come together. It's usually pretty obvious in the alignment window, which position it needs to be in, but the manual would be still be a good purchase.

[​IMG]

5. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

where would the allinement window be CIMG3042.JPG i'll take a closer picture of the lower unit

6. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

here's gear case and lower unit CIMG3065.JPG

CIMG3067.JPG

CIMG3066.JPG

7. PAR

Where does your shifter rod disconnect?

8. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

The shift shaft is splined as it rotates it doent go up and down so no window. All US based Mercs only rotate
    You need to ensure the plastic guides are in all place and then ensure the gearbox is in the same gear as the shift lever.
    On a merc its easiest to do it in forward as in reverse the reverse lock cam is trying to push the reverse lock on ( if it is still actaully there?)
    You need to feel the notch in forward when you turn the shift shaft as once you drop of the cam it will still be in forward but the shaft will be out of sync with the lever on the engine.
    Your tuning a cam with a ramp on it first notch is forward, second is neutral third is reverse

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.