Overarm router

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Eagle Boats, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Eagle Boats

Eagle Boats Senior Member

I am going to start building wood rudders and teak hatchboards. I need tools that will build them with the least amount of fuss but maintain a high degree of finish and consistency on a production basis. I have an industrial size shaper, but I am wondering if an overarm pin router would be better. Any insight would be much appreciated.

2. john92021

john92021 New Member

pin router

If you are going to be doing production what you really want is a CNC router. They have come down in price over the past few years and pay for themselves. I employee on a CNC can do the work of 3 working by hand, and you can lease one for the price of 1 employee so you are still ahead.

3. Eagle Boats

Eagle Boats Senior Member

John, thanks for your response. I build fiberglass boats with a minimum of wood trim. I could not justify the expense based on the amount of work that would be necessary. In addition, space is at a premium at my shop. The pin router has a smaller footprint.

Due to many shops switching over to CNC, there seems to be a lot of pin routers on the market. I have a chance to buy a SCMI R9 in very good condition for $900. The price seems too good to pass up.

I will still investigate CNC machines, as I am a firm believer in using tools that will reduce the amount of manhours it takes to perform an operation. When time, and especially money permits, I may go for it. I would like to hear about your experiences with CNC.

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

The hatchboards are easily done with a rabbeting bit on a common router, hand held, and then stacked, clamped, and cross-cut both sides with a fine-tooth carbide saw blade on a skilsaw run against a clamped-on angled template.
    A rudder requires bevelling, and a jig can be made that uses an air or electric (offset grinder/polisher, etc.) and a vee that the rudders are drawn through. A 36 grit disc makes short work of the bevel, which can be finished with a hand held 6" RO sander.
    The leading edge can be shaped with a round-over router bit, hand held.
    Unless thousands are being made, stay low-tech and stay away from expensive equipment. It isn't cost-effective at typical sailboat production runs unless you will be competing with the very biggest competitors.

Alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.