All electric & solar powered motorboat

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Yme Bosma, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Yme Bosma

Yme Bosma A10 electric motorboat

After having sold our Lagoon cruising catamaran on which we just finished a 1 year and 10.000 mile trip to the Caribbean, it is time for something different...

We are now in the process of designing and building a fully electric and solar powered 33ft motorboat. Trailerable, easily maintained, minimum (air) draft, comfortable, ready for all seasons, safe at sea. She will be powered by a 10kW steerable pod, running on a 30kWh lithium battery pack and 1500Wp solar panels. We are currently finishing the design, selecting the (Dutch) yard where she will be built, and finalizing the specifications with several suppliers. Hull number 1 will be ours, but I'd like to see whether there's a broader interest in this project, especially when prices of solar panels and batteries are coming down. Basic specifications after the image.

[​IMG]

If you have any feedback, tips or comments, I'd love to hear them! For images and more information on what we are doing, please visit www.arviro.com.

Basics
    • Length 9,99m / 32.8ft
    • Beam 2,50m / 8.2ft
    • Draft 0,75m / 2.5ft
    • Air draft 1,80m / 5.9ft
    • Headroom 2,00m / 6.5ft
    • Weight 2700 Kg / 6000 pounds
    • 10kW steerable pod
    • 30kW lithium battery pack
    • 1500Wp solar panels
    • 1200 liter / 320 gallon water
    • Built in 5mm / .2 inch aluminum
    • Cruising speed: 6 knots
    • Battery range: 50 nautical miles
    • 100% made in Holland

2. mselle

mselle Transportation Designer

Playing with the same idea for some years now, I like the idea of the project very much. I just lack the oppertunity to make my ideas coming alive.

First thought and question I had was: How do you intend to use the boat and where do you want to go with it? To me it looks like a world traveller but range and over all size seems to small. For a weekend-short-range boat it is to "closed".

If you want to travel the world with it, it should have some kind of backup propulsion. A small sail or kite. While sailing, the battery could be charged. While at anchor or mooring it could have a deployable wind generator. Why not on a blimp i.e.

For shure the world will pass slowly while sailing this boat, I like it.

Marco.

3. Yme Bosma

Thanks for the comments. The idea of using a kite is something I thought about as well, will experiment with that once the boat is finished.

I don't plan on travelling the world by boat (again), but I'd like to be able to take the boat to some really nice places (by towing her). Higher latitudes and lower latitudes. That's why the boat will be a bit more 'closed' and very well insulated. It's a trade-off/compromise, I know...

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

but I'd like to be able to take the boat to some really nice places (by towing her)

IN the USA there are very different limits to the overall length that can be towed by a private owner and a commercial truck.

Checked the Euro rules?

5. Yme Bosma

Yes, the specifications are tailored to the EU (NL) limits. As far as I can tell I should be able to tow her in the US as well. At least in the US it will be easier to find a car able to tow the boat...

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

At least in the US it will be easier to find a car able to tow the boat...

You bet an old full sized Cadillac can tow 6000 lbs with the right hitch.

Beyond that a pickup truck with a hitch inside the truck bed will get you to 10,000 without much hassle.

IF you are going to do a lot of road work the purchase of a used real truck , and modifying it by removing an axle would be cheap and never have a weight problem.

The trucks with small "sleepers" behind frequently can be registered as an RV , so insurance is cheap, and no special over 26,000GVW license is required.

7. CDK

CDK retired engineer

If I were you, I would skip the idea of putting a 10 meter, 2700 kg boat on a trailer. Only a few cars can legally tow 3500 kg and you'll have a hard time finding a 10 meter trailer that weighs less than a ton.
    To transport my Draco 2500 Twincab from Holland to the Adriatic I adapted a Ford Cargo and made several successful trips with it. But not many boat owners may want to go to that length.
    For transport within Holland the RDW allowed the 2.90 m. width without much hassle, the only nasty encounter with the police was in Italy where the toll booths are spaced at exactly 3 meters so you don't go unnoticed there. But my documents showed a width of 2.50 m, and after a brief discussion and some banknotes changing hands they let me trough.

Without the 2.50 limit you can design a better looking and more spacious boat. Anyhow, the long, closed cabin makes it more suitable for the Dutch climate than for the 35 C. summers here.

8. Phlip777

Phlip777 New Member

Newbie Question re: electric/solar with diesel motor vessel

Hi,
    I realize this thread doesn't regard hybrid prop, yet, your large solar array motor boat concept has similarities to what I have in mind:

I'm considering buying a displacement hull, steel 56 foot coastal steamer. Thus, initiating research to attempt Solar panel power augmentation? I plead ignorance to all this. I considering adding an entire array of solar panels on a frame covering as much as 750 sq ft of the vessel doubling as a top deck canopy, if practicable. That's 10Kw of solar +/- If my math is right.

Regarding hybrid power on her. I'm unsure of displacement. She's 38 gross ton, with twin screws, and a 20 Kw gen set (yet to be installed, no inverter as of now). The props and shaft remain, old twin 170 HP diesels and trans. have been removed. Which brand or companies electric motors do you suggest/would be enough power? How many/what type batteries do you suggest on such a system.

Thanks for help.

9. Thaiwoodenboat

Thaiwoodenboat New Member

Nice to see and read about the project. Mooi werk Yme ! I am presently working on the transformation of a thai wooden barge into a solar powered boat. Here in Thailand they think I am absolutely crazy... (they may very well be right !) Anyway, I bought this wooden barge some 4 years ago, worked on the wood (teak wood, but in bad shape), and now I am working on the propulsion by solar power. But..I need HELP ! I want to use existing 48 V DC motors from old forklifst, I already have 6 x 280 W panels which cover 12 meters of surface. I want to use existing components that are readily available in Thailand that they use on long tail boats. Anyone with experience in this???? Yme...tripje naar Thailand? Best regards Frank Riezebos www.facebook.com/thaiwoodenboat.solar

10. Thaiwoodenboat

Thaiwoodenboat New Member

Yme, looking at your design, do you think it is possible to cover the solarpanels with transparent polycarbonaat plastic, or something of the sort, so you can actually walk on the solar panels, and increase the living area??? Groetjes uit den Oost.

11. schakel

schakel environmental project Msc

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.