Outrigger canoe

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by speedboat100, Jun 6, 2015.

1. speedboat100

speedboat100 New Member

Hi everybody!

As you see Im new here - my very first post! Let introduce myself first, in short: Im an engineer, experienced in composites, and my first love are...
    airplanes! (should I say that - dont offend please! Hey, airplanes and boats have lot in common!:)

I like aerodynamics, and had a lot of knowledge in it, and am doing some CFD (simulations).

Ok, now I am very interested to build Outrigger canoe (OC-1), in composites of course. Should be in carbon-epoxy or in glass-EP cheaper variant.

Frankly I never saw outrigger "live" and never paddled one, the closest boat that I have some experience with is my "classic" canoe and racing kayak that I rowed many years ago.

So, for now, my questions are more general: Does anybody have experience with such boat (OC), what are pros and cons of that design, would you recommend me any particular model to base my design at?

any input appreciated!

ps: technical question regarding forum: how to attach photo from my computer (it seems there is only http//... option)??

2. edvb

edvb Junior Member

3. speedboat100

speedboat100 New Member

Thanks edvb, interesting!

Mine is going to be without a sail, the very simple one, just for paddling. Sailboat is nice, but the fact is I have started one complex airplane project already so it is better to stick to simplest canoe now.

this is one that would suite my needs:
    [​IMG]

The all I know for now is length about 6.5 m (22 ft) and weight of 10-15kg (22-33 lbs). I would like a sleek, fast canoe (low drag) for flat water mainly, and light as possible - guess can be made at 10 kg.

does anybody have drawing (3-projection)?

4. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

5. Sea Stallion

Sea Stallion Junior Member

speedboat

You might want to check out the OCPaddler.com forum. Also, Gary Dierking has an OC1 model based on the Ulua. It's not what you would call sleek and fast in modern terms. I own a Johnny Puakea design Kaku Elua.

6. speedboat100

speedboat100 New Member

Sea Stallion,

thank you very much! I feel that forum is exactly what I need, in this case.
    Kaku Elua is close to what I want, the only difference in my case is that I dont want any existing canoe, but I want to design and make my own (though it is going to be very similar to some models out there of course).

Ok, cause you own OC1, what is your experience with it? Do you like it? Consider it fun to paddle? Fast? Stable?

One more question: do you think rudder with pedals is necessary in OC1 or one could steer it with paddle only?

7. Sea Stallion

Sea Stallion Junior Member

Yes, I like paddling OC1, OC2 and OC6. I would not consider an OC1 stable for a novice but with use you will gain the skills. Most OC1s are built for about a 200# person max. OC1 without rudder is a Tahitian style Va'a (V1). They are a bit different in design. If you are really interested I suggest you check out Steve West's publications available at kanuculture.com. You will find all your answers there.

8. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

EDVB,

that is a pretty slick boat. The one thing that looks questionable to me is the daggerboard mount. It looks like a deflection nightmare. Does it deflect and vibrate sailing in strong wind?

9. edvb

edvb Junior Member

Skyak

No, the trunk is about 10" deep and highly reinforced. The daggerboard is all carbon with a center web so very strong.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.