OUTRAGE! Ady Gil (Earthrace) trimaran rammed and sunk by whalers!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by bad dog, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

2. BTPost

BTPost Junior Member

Landlubber, You would be correct in most circumstances, EXCEPT in this case, the smaller, more agile, vessel, was OVERTAKING from Astern, and that FACT, overrules the Starboard Right Of Way Rule... ANY OVERTAKING Vessel MUST Yield the Right Of Way to the Overtaken Vessel, and IS responsible for maintaining separation and collision avoidance... also it is a well recognized Rule that when vessels meet, which are very different in size, and maneuverability, it is the smaller, more agile vessel that MUST yield the Right of Way, if Collision is imminent. Motorized Vessels MUST give way to Sail Powered Vessels, for the same reason. Better Maneuverability.....

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Ahhhh.....no.

You can't just motor your small craft up to a full-sized ship while it's going about its business, and start forcing it to continually give way. Otherwise, you could legally make it run in circles until you got bored.

According to IRPCS, The general rule is that less maneuverable craft have priority over a more maneuverable craft. Ady Gil loses by that one.

Nothing in the Rules shall exonerate any vessel, or the owner, master or crew thereof, from the consequences of any neglect to comply with these Rules or of the neglect of any precaution which may be required by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special circumstances of the case. Had Ady Gil not been deliberately screwing with the whaler instead of trying to avoid it to begin with, there would have been no collision. Her master bears the ultimate responsibility, no matter how the rules are parsed.

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

BTPost,

yes I agree with you regarding the legalities stated, however the tri was at idle, or possibly DSA. It ONLY reved up as it was about to be hit, so I seriously doubt that it was an overtaking vessel (otherwise you would be correct of course).

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The last word in any collision rules is do anything and everything to avoid a collision wether you are in stand off or not. Turn 180 degrees if necessary.

Running alongside and ducking under the bows of a 4oo tons hip to hinder its way is just beyond words.

The Australian nave should be deployed to arrest the Shepheard and arrest crew and captain for gross negligence of seamanship and endangering life.

Whilst in Prison write letters to their corresponding democratic governments and change things in a proper way instead of terrorism.

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

The last word in any collision rules is do anything and everything to avoid a collision wether you are in stand off or not. Turn 180 degrees if necessary.

...yep......simple really isn't it.....avoid a collision....that IS the law of the sea.

Soooo, both are wrong, the ship for running the ******** down, and the ******** for being there anyhow......

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

A well-known quote from Paul Watson: “There’s nothing wrong with being a terrorist, as long as you win.”

I think someone with that attitude should have his *** thrown so deep into a prison cell that they have to pipe his beans back to him....

8. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

“There’s nothing wrong with being a terrorist, as long as you win. Then you write the history.”
    — “Animal Rights 2002” convention, Jun 2002

....and so he did.

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Now that we have accepted that the seaman ship was atrocious, lets look at the whaling --which is totally different and un attached.

Some are saying that the destructive and dangerous maneuver was for the sake of the whale.

Was a whale being attacked at that time? was the ship hunting wales at that time or was he going home to Japan. Was there a whale in sight anywhere at the time of the maneuver?

How could they be saving any whale with that maneuver at that time whilst risking human life.

10. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Well I think by now we all know where we all stand on this issue. I'll be succinct.

“There’s nothing wrong with being a terrorist, as long as you win.”
    Paul Watson

Eventually terrorists get what's coming to them. Sooner would be better than later.

11. richard thomas

richard thomas richo

If it wasnt for the courage and some would say stupidity of these anti wailers
    who else would stand up for these magnificent creatures. If youve ever swam with them, as i have, you would see them as the most enormouse gental creatures on this planet. Who cares whos water they are swimming in. We all live on this one planet, and if it werent for people like those on sea sheppard, we can kiss these mammals good bye. They are out there amongst it doing what ever it takes to put pressure on the wailers, not sitting on the web typing words.
    richo

12. BTPost

BTPost Junior Member

Landlubber, Sonny, Go back and watch the Vid, carefully... The smaller vessel was the OVERTAKING Vessel for the WHOLE Time... He came up from Astern, passed on the Starboard Side, and then crossed under the bow of the larger vessel, while still moving forward.... The Skipper of the smaller Vessel is CLEARLY at fault here.... besides being an Idiot... He should never be in command of a vessel for the rest of his life, PERIOD... He is a Menace to Mariners everywhere... We see FlatLanders like him, every summer up here in the Alaskan Waters, and we ship a few of them back home, in BOXES, when they make the same STUPID Mistakes in Vessel Navigation... There is NO Defense for what that Skipper Did, PERIOD....

13. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

well said Richard

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

15. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Oh please....spare us the sanctimony.

The truth is that the actions of these eco-terrorists are counterproductive....just like the actions of radical Muslim terrorists are. They piss governments off, polarize popular opinion, and create a backlash against the very cause they're supposedly supporting. They're arrogant, self-absorbed A-holes using a politically correct cause to boost their self-esteem.

Explain to me how that helps the whales? I'm a fairly environmentally aware person, myself. But after spending ten minutes googling what Paul Watson has said and done over the years, I swear I'd drive twenty miles out of my way to buy a whale burger, just so I could tell him to piss off while I'm eating it.

How does enraging people like me help his cause?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.