OUTRAGE! Ady Gil (Earthrace) trimaran rammed and sunk by whalers!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by bad dog, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Bravo to the Japanese whalers,

Paul Watson made his bones in 1979 deliberately ramming the Sierra with his piece of **** rust bucket Sea Shepard he had reinforced with concrete. Despite the premeditated nature of his actions he was never held accountable for his extremely dangerous behavior.

He is a terrorist. Those whalers he attacked should have started firing directly into the wheelhouse in self defense. There is a thread right now regarding Somalian pirates, Watson and his ilk are little different and should be treated in the same manner. Deliberately ramming another ship with a 780 ton vessel like Watson did is an act of premeditated attempted murder. Court is the place to try the surviving terrorists, at sea it is a matter of self defense, the whalers thus attacked should shoot to kill.

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

"The Australian Antarctic Territory (AAT) is the part of Antarctica claimed by Australia and is the largest territory of Antarctica claimed by any nation. The claim is formally recognised by only four States, each of which also has a claim over part of the Antarctic"
    Like I said... just a claim.. not legal to citizens of other nations..

3. balsaboatmodels

balsaboatmodels Junior Member

Hmm, there's an angle, if I was going to be a terrorist, posing as an environmental eco-warrior group could be kind of fun.
    But fortunately for the rest of humanity, I'm not a terrorist, just a psychiatric patient.
    (but what about my shrink . . . ?)

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Earthrace

I support Sea Shepard calling attention to the plight of the whates but I don't support their attemps to disable Japanese ships or the times the Steve Irwin purposely rammed the Japanese vessels.
    But what happened here is damn wrong! Go to CNN and look at the video there-it is from a different perspective AND CLEARLY SHOWS THE JAPANESE VESSELL TURN INTO Ady Gill-no doubt at all. I had reservations after seeing the video from the Japanese ship but the CNN video shows a clear cut case of the Japanese ship banking to port as it turns hard to starboard right into the Ady Gill. That was dead wrong and I hope they pay dearly! Glad nobody was hurt though the Japanese intent was clearly to hurt people.
    -----
    I'm saddened by the loss of Ady Gill(Earthrace) whose round the world record and unique design should have wound up in the Smithstonian -not on the bottom of the ocean.

5. balsaboatmodels

On the one hand the following quote as a tangentel aspect I fully support.

On the other hand a vessel under attack has rights to defend itself by available means.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/article6973994.ece

6. balsaboatmodels

Here's the CNN video again,
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/01/06/japan.whale.feud/index.html?iref=allsearch

Here's Sea Shepherd's own website
    http://www.seashepherd.org/

You Tube video of incident:

Ady Gil from Japanese whaling vessel.

Ady Gil rammed by Shonan Maru No. 2, view from MV Bob Barker

01 January Incident
    sounds like being attacked with intent to hurt people, yes? no?

Take a good look at 1:21 point and tell me you know for certain that tube with the green laser beam they pull up and shoulder is not going to be a friggin RPG????????

You KNOW that it isn't, right?
    Right?
    Right?

7. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

Hi Balsa
    Thanks for those videos, definitely gives a clearer picture.

The whaler definitely appears to suddenly steer to starboard at the end and the angle from the front shows that there is probably serious damage inflicted on the batboat.:eek:

So I think I may have been wrong in my earlier opinions.
    Sometimes, I suppose its safer to wait until the full picture is available on an incident before one opens ones mouth.:!: :!:

Anyway, still think all whaling should stop, but maybe there are other ways to tackle it.:confused: :confused: :?:

Itchy

8. balsaboatmodels

And the "batboat" crew were attempting to damage the Shonan Maru and to seriously injure its crew.
    Shonan Maru was a vessel under attack.
    Period.
    An act of piracy.

Personally, I think twenty mike mike would be a reasonable defense of my crew.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Whales are tasty. I would ram them too.

10. Luckless

Luckless Senior Member

Are you sure about that? The Canadian government seems to disagree with you on that one. They are even still holding one of their ships from a few years ago if the Wikipedia articles are to be believed.

11. Luckless

Luckless Senior Member

Yes of course there are other ways to stop the hunt. Such as convincing people to not buy whale meat. (Of course, if the idiots behind Sea Shepherds get wind of that idea, we'll just see mass murder in Japan.)

12. balsaboatmodels

If I was the Shonan Maru Captain I'd be saying, "They were dragging cables attempting to damage my screw and rudder, I was attempting to avoid them, and an unfortunate coincidence occurred."

13. Hostins

Hostins Junior Member

just saw the video over the web,
    its horrible
    its the same that to drive a car over a pedestrian.

and that was a NIIIIICE boat!!

14. liki

liki Senior Member

Yes, that is clearly visible from that point of view. But also it can be seen clearly that AG is going under their bow with 'all ahead flank'.

15. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I can't vouch for its truth, but I pulled this comment from an article about the Ady Gil:

I used to support these guys because I believed in what they were doing. Until I met some of them in a bar. They were the most arrogant, entitled bunch of radicals who turned aggressive towards me (literally seconds after a hearty friendly hello) after learning where I lived. They’d obviously decided that it was a place where only where rich people lived, so I must have been an *** or something, and fair game for discrimination. I’d literally just met them, and seconds earlier told them that I supported their work.

Seriously, absolute *******s. I find it kind of ironic how they treated me, given that this boat seems to have been donated by a rich benefactor. I hope it sinks on its maiden voyage.

http://www.ecorazzi.com/2009/10/18/earthrace-reborn-sea-shepherd-unveils-the-ady-gil/#comment-416245

Looks like he might get his wish....

These Sea Shepherd people strike me as the sort of scum who would sue you for shooting them while they were trying to break into your house.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.