OUTRAGE! Ady Gil (Earthrace) trimaran rammed and sunk by whalers!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by bad dog, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balsaboatmodels

balsaboatmodels Junior Member

Umm, how about the ones on Piracy and Navigation?

How about we look at a new and never before heard of concept, how about Paul set an example of upholding the law and do so himself?

So you agree that if I believe you are breaking a law and that authorities are not enforcing it, I have the right to come and try to destroy your property and to try to hurt you?
    Or does that only apply to other people and not you?

I'm from Missouri, show me.

Which parts of maritime law do you choose to ignore?

Frankly, the law doesn't give a damn how anyone feels. The law is the law is the law. And the law says, so does the real world by the way, you are responsible for your choice of action.
    Period.
    No matter who else is doing what.

As an illustration of that principle try "Well, he did it too!" with your parents and see how far that gets you.
    (those of us here of my generation and before will certainly get that idea)

{damn I'm in a mood today, male PMS?}

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im sorry but this is just crap, and not very well written crap, you know nothing of me or that I drink hard or not.

Pssst your childish ******** is showing.

3. richard thomas

richard thomas richo

Firstly the japs were in our waters. secondly if it were in American waters we wouldnt be having this discussion.thirdly ive read your posts and you sound like a smart *** american. Do you people like saying stuff just to say it. does it make you feel important. of course it does... i never started the arguement just replied to something this hits home for me. i never bagged anyone and was not nasty. i meet people like you all the time. and in my opinion your just a waste of air. you do your country justice....
    p.s
    do you think your the only person on this planet that knows about sailing?
    pull your head in mate theres always two sides

4. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

"you do your country justice...."

You're out of line there MATE.

The earthrace trimaran was asking for it and by God they got it through their own irresponsible foolishness. This little stunt of theirs wasn't quite as dastardly as Watson's original claim to fame, but it differed by degree not kind. The crew of the Sierra would have been completely justified killing Watson in self defense.

In this case maybe not, but prudent seamanship often requires proactive action, better to err on the side of caution. Center of mass and all that. :)

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Will some one please answer the question.

Was a whale saved that day by all this crap?

I think I know the answer,---NO

Or does Green peace look good today----NO

Will a whale be saved tomorrow then---NO

Will it affect whale killing---NO

Could it have been handled better ---YES

1 person likes this.
  6. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

Youve hit the nail on the head there Frosty

7. bntii

bntii Senior Member

You guys are being played.
    The whole thing is staged for TV.
    Just like old Paul getting shot in the first episode- it's a bit of theater.

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz9mOqY06ok

Make sure to tune in to the exciting next episode of WHALE WARS!

8. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Only in your dreams.. Are the russian in their antarctic bases getting oz visas or not :p

9. Luckless

Luckless Senior Member

Can you show that? What widely accepted international convention puts the location in your waters? (For the record, I'm not even 100% sure where this event occurred yet, I haven't had time to look into it that deeply yet, but a few people have stated it is a claim only with no wide legal backing.)

If you are against whaling, and feel your government is not doing enough to protect the whales, Then Change your Government!

In the big picture of things, these tactics do next to nothing. The days whole event has produced nothing But pollution! The trash they have now dumped into the ocean has now put whales At Risk.

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I smell something fishy.

If a foreign boat is whaling in the .AU waters illegally I'm sure the .AU gov will sort this out tjop tjop. It is a matter of warning them once, if they don't bail out beyond the limits right away, one little aeroplane can sort this act of war out in a few minutes.

Sounds to me someone pockets something under the table...

11. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

:D I think somebody is atleast planning to.. RSA ordered a research vessel for antarctic just before christmas (quess who's the builder ;) ) After a while claim a part of the Antarctic and then Zuma sells whaling rights to highest bidder.. :idea:

12. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

1. Our claim to the Antarctic is disputed and has not been ratified.

2. There are many shades to the term "illegal". How do you think killing a human to prevent them killing a whale would be handled in most courts around the world?

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Well Teddy, that is how they operate here, you have it spot on. Q is who is going to operate the research vessel.

Leo, justify killing the human and save the whales. Too may crimes committed because 'nothing will happen to us'. The human is supposed to know better, the few whales have no choice in this.

You don't save the poor and hungry by devouring your resources, you save most by protecting your resources.

14. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

I guess we have different moral compasses: I could never justify harming another human to save an obsolete marine mammal. Maybe it's just me.

Regards from our better, warmer, hemisphere,
    Leo.

15. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

It is not OK to sink ships and endanger crews, simply because you believe the activities they're involved in are wrong or illegal. If you think it is, you've watched too many Charles Bronson movies. Oh the other hand, attacking ships and their crews is definitely illegal, it fits the definition of piracy to a Tee, and they used to hang people for it. I think they should revive the custom.

How can you so self-rightously spout pious nonsense about whaling being illegal, then turn around and condone attempts to disable and sink ships, with reckless disregard for whether or not their crews die in the process? Illegal should be illegal, unless you're a complete hypocrite.

At least the whalers have some legal cover for what they're doing; the Sea Shepherd scum have none at all. And Paul Watson would not "go home then," if the whaling was stopped. He'd find another reason to attack people in defense of animals, because he's a professional terrorist.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.