Outdrive is mounted 1" off-center?

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by tuantom, Jul 16, 2006.

1. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

Well, the title pretty much says it all. As I'm restoring a 1967 24' Piranha, there are all kinds little suprises along the way. I put a new plywood transom in the boat last fall and am now ready to cut out the key hole for a Volvo Penta 270 drive. I thought I would just cut it exactly where it was by using the existing outside glass skin as my pattern; however after going over it a few times it's become apparent that the drive was mounted 1" off-center to the starboard side. Is this done on purpose? Or a simple math mistake?

This boat always had a problem with hard steering starboard. It seemed adjusting the trim fin on the outdrive would only shift the RPM range that boat would pull to the left. I had it set so it would drive pretty straight at cruising speed - but at full throttle it would really want to pull. Would 1" off-center on a 7' wide hull cause this?

Thanks,
    Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.