Prop size question

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by jerryniff, Jan 9, 2006.

1. jerryniff

jerryniff Junior Member

I am putting together a 32' Multimar and now that the forum has helped me, or Windvang to be exact, with the keel I have another question.
    Came by this brand new Multimar hull thru a trade of a car a motorcycle a couple cows and several chickens. Have purchased a new 15 meter aluminum mast but short of that the rest is being put together with stuff that was laying around the shop. I have matched up a 1.9 VW diesel with a mold 1.6-1 gear box. I realize the box should be at least 3-1 but the mold is what was laying around. Not really worried about fuel economy. Would like to install a two blade prop that will move the boat along near hull speed, in calm seas at around 2,000 rpm.
    Gerald

2. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

There are a bunch of great reasons the AutoProp makes sense for sailboats. I'm not sure what your question is, but the AutoProp is my answer.

3. jerryniff

jerryniff Junior Member

Sorry that I did not make the question clearer. My actual question is in the title. Based on the information I have presented I am asking for a recommendation as to what size prop I should install on a 32' sailboat.
    Gerald

4. Windvang

Windvang Yacht Designer

5. jerryniff

jerryniff Junior Member

For anyone that might have the same question about prop pitch and diameter you might find this site helpful. Nice thing is that you don't need to bother anyone since you just download the program and it calculates for you.

http://www.castlemarine.co.uk/

Gerald

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.