old fibreglass boat repair

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by patrolin, Apr 26, 2021.

1. patrolin

patrolin New Member

hi guys new member here, i bought a very cheap 26ft fibreglass boat, good running gear but needs a tidy up, in pulling the tanks upfrom the hull and clearing it all out its clear that its been beached because the rh side of the hull has stres fratures in the interior paint but not in the fibregalss, there is a section in the middle of the boat about 1.5m long that the fibreglass is cracked in places from the keel outwards unsure of how deep they are yet, i will post some crap photos i have here and ill take some more tomorrow, fibreglass seems to have perfect round circles also i havnt sanded it yet but almost thinking this is very structal and might not be worth fixing. it has been in the water for the last 20odd years damage has to of happen atleast 5 yrs ago. wondering if its fixable wether i should grind it out then refibreglass the center section of the boat i got plenty of poly resin and glass.

also the hull has some osmosis that i will need to fix. i need too repain the whole hull and there will be fibreglass repairs in some sections, im so torn on the best paint to spray/paint the hull. the boat is built with poly res and i will be using poly res for that reason

Attached Files:

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum Patrolin.

What type / make of boat have you bought? Is she a motor boat or a sailing boat?
    And dare I ask how much the very cheap price was?
    You photos above do not show a lot - can you post some more photos showing the boat overall, as well as some closer views on the areas of damage?

Before you launch yourself enthusiastically into a major re-fit, you should try to tally up a rough list of materials required, and costs - you might be surprised by how quickly the cost adds up.
    Unless you are doing it for the enjoyment of grinding fibreglass (and it sounds like there will be a lot of grinding involved on this hull), then it might be easier to use the money that you would have thrown at this boat to buy a boat that is in good working order and ready to go.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    hoytedow likes this.
  3. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Welcome

Dito banyonsailer
    More photos please

If you're planning on keeping her in the water, then she will need several coats of epoxy below the waterline inorder to prevent future blisters. Do the repairs in epoxy

4. jbo_c

jbo_c Junior Member

Or building one if you want the “I did it” experience. Get very deep at all and it may be less work and similar money to build the whole shebang. Of course, it takes a special breed . . .

Jbo