302 ford firing order

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by valtis, Jul 12, 2010.

1. valtis

valtis New Member

Hoping for help.

My brother the "mechanic" removed the wires and distributor on
    our (Penn Yan) 1972 302 ford 215HP, mercruiser, marine inboard engine, ser.# 3084850R. Didn't record the firing order. Any advice or direction would be helpful.

Jonas Long Island

2. valtis

valtis New Member

Valtis

Found answer ...

reverse rotation, firing order: 1,8,7,3,6,2,4,5

Standard Firing Order: 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8, Distributor Rotation: Counterclockwise.

Thanks

3. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

If those do not work; the standard rotation 302 HO firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. This was also used on the 351's as well

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Make sure you get the cylinder numbering right. It is different from other engines. Left bank 1-4 right bank 5-8

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

6. sisken

sisken New Member

i have a pair of Ford marine 302 175hp's hooked to omc's electric shift.
    My engines don't run and i need to know if they are a short block or a long block. standard or counter rotation. i don't know much about this so any help would be appreceated

7. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

All a "Long block" or Short Block" represents is the engines in various states of assembly. A Long block is the assembled block, (crank, rods, pistons, cam) with assembled cylinder heads installed. A Short block is the assembly without the cylinder heads & cam. If your motors are assembled they're complete. What year are the motors? If you look at the props, are the blades pitched in the same direction (if they both spin clockwise, will they both be pushing the boat forward)? If the motors will turn over (crank with the starter) you could have an assistant crank each engine individually with the key while you watch the rotation of the crank pulley (the big pulley low in the center of the engine). That will tell you if they are standard or reverse rotation.

8. FF26

FF26 New Member

hi, thanks for that info. both of my outdrive props are identical. The owners manual for them say that they both are standard rotation and turn the same way for easier manuvering. as for the engines, they both have the same fireing order so i beleve that since the out drives turn the same, the engines should be standard rotation
    My thought of repower would be an up grade to a ford 350 windsor or clevland.

9. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

If you're sticking with the Ford motors, you would want to go with the 351 Windsor (350 is a GM engine). The 302 & the 351 Windsor are very similar as far as size & accessory mounting. The motor mounts are in the same location & the bell housing bolt pattern is the same as well. The 351 Cleveland is an entirely different motor, much harder to come across as they have been out of production for a long time. The 351 Windsor was still used in Ford Trucks up until 1996. If you conduct a search for a marine 351 repower, it will most certainly be a 351 Windsor. The Cleveland motor was a great engine, but to my knowledge, it was never used as a marine motor in mass production as was the Windsor. In addition, all of the Ford motorsoprts Hi performance parts are available for the Windsor, you could buy 2 crate motors from Ford that'd bolt right in at close to 300 HP a piece.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.