outboard tank

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by darone1871, Aug 24, 2011.

1. darone1871

darone1871 New Member

i would like to fit a electric fuel sending unit to a honda outboard tank is it possible if so how can anyone help

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. The hard bit is mounting a suitable sized sender in the tank. The sender is effectively a variable resistor, and so you can measure the fluid level by making the sender the lower part of a potential divider and displaying the result. This is what fuel gauges actually do behind the scenes.

OpenPilot's ADC Widget can measure voltages (with a little hardware) for just this purpose.

Cheers,

Tim B.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I am sure it could be done. But much better than a resistive unit (float on an arm type guage) I would use a capacitive or inductive unit. The electronics is solid state and completely sealed and much more accurate than the old resistive type. see WEMA USA http://www.wemausa.com/

Now for the downside. How are you going to ground this? If you are running wires to a gauge on the dash then the sender is part of your electrical system and needs to be grounded.

Also this means you will have to put a hole in the top of the tank so you will need to find a way to seal it with a gasket.

Why not buy a plastic tank that is translucent that you can actually see how much fluid is in it?

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

That Norwegian WEMA gear that Ike pointed you towards is first class. Very reliable, but its not cheap

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Wema is cheap, depends where you buy it...it is made in China you know.....and yes, it is very good.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.