Outboard starting Problems

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by caughtafish, Jan 19, 2010.

1. caughtafish

caughtafish Junior Member

Hi I'm new to the forum so pls bear with me.....

I have a 65hp 2stroke outboard on my boat, when i start the motor it backfires and this stops the motor from idling , after a few starts the motor starts to idle and when it warms up it runs perfect and idles without any problems, if i give it throttle as soon as it starts then it takes of without any problems, the motor does not have a leaver like the newer models to rev it without putting it in gear. Any suggestions on the probable cause is welcome

Thanks

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What kind of controls do you have that they can't be revved up in neutral? They usually have a button to disengage the gears or you pull the handle sideways. Separate levers where installed in very old systems.

3. caughtafish

not sure of make but to put in gear u have to push a button on the throttle.can't move the lever unless u do this. it does have a push choke thats part of the key ignition. i'll try take some pictures of it :confused:

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is a modern set of controls. It's very likely that you have a button at the pivot point of the shifter arm, when pushed you can operate the throttle alone. You may have to pull slightly inboard on the handle to make this happen.

Pictures would be helpful, as would taking your boat to a shop and having a full tune up preformed.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Many controls have to be pulled out to accelerate in neutral

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Push ignition key choke and a lever lock!! sounds like mercury.

Yes,-- as said there is a little black button in the middle of the lever. Have a fiddle about with it. Its a two handed job push and fiddle.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

He's probably figured it out already and is embarrassed he asked.

8. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

When all else fails read the instruction book !!

Yeah some of the newer out boards are a little trick to tinker with !!.
    This is the age of electronics and microchips , ok when they are new but wait till the get on a bit !!:p

When all else fails read the instruction book !!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010

9. caughtafish

I found the button , unless u know what to look for it doesn't really look like one , looks more like a rubber cover then a switch :D thanks for the help

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.