Outboard set up advice.

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by ben2go, Jul 22, 2008.

1. ben2go

ben2go Boat Builder Wanna Be

The boat I'm designing to build is going to have a 30 to 60 hp out board.I have roughly 22 feet from helm to transom the way I would route standard controls.The hull is a non planning flat bottom hull.Here are my questions laid out.

1)What would be the best steering for a non planing calm water boat?Cable or hydraulic?22 feet seems to be to much length for cables.I want reliability.

2)Would I be able to control the engine by hand with out disconnecting the controls from the helm?I know this partly depends on the engine.

3)Keeping in mind the 22 feet from helm to engine.What would be the most reliable engine controls?Cable or electric?

4)Should I opt for hydraulic operated trim?Being that it's a flat bottom non planing hull,do I need trim?I do need the option of raising the foot out of the water in the shallows and trailering.

Any other advice or ideas.I haven't decided on an O/B yet.I wanna make my choice based on the best for my application and fuel consumption.

Thanks in advance.

2. redtech

redtech Senior Member

ever thought about fly by wire

3. ben2go

Being a former pilot,no.For my boat maybe.Depends on the reliability of the electric servo motors and their longevity.I really don't like the thoughts of a hydraulic leak inside a fiberglass reinforced wooden hull.It maybe the best choice.Do you have any links to a specific system you may have in mind?

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

ya need a diesel shaft drive on that boat.
    22' control cables have so much play in them you will eventually have gearbox problems from lack of dog engagement.

5. ben2go

I can't use a shaft drive.There is no place to put it and I need to maintain a 12 inch draft or less.That's why I ask about options for an out board.If I could go diesel I would for the torque and economy. =^)

6. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

ok
    it will work but pay attention to your shift adjustment and dont use an SS prop.

7. ben2go

I caught an episode of Ship Shape TV today.They installed an Evinrude ETEC with optional hydraulic steering.There was no resevior for the fluid and no vents.The system was completely sealed.According to the factory service guy the system should never leak unless there is a major problem.Only thing about the system is it is specific to the large ETEC engines.I think they installed a 120 or 150 hp unit.I only need 30hp but could go 50hp if the unit is extremely light weight.I don't need a lot of power.Just enough to push thru slow moving river currents.This boat will only see protected waters.No coastal waters not even close to coastal area.Biggest water my boat will see is Lake Greenwood or Lake Murrary,SC.

8. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

The steering is no issue there are plenty of people who can sell you hydraulic steering set ups right for that set up.

9. ben2go

SS=Stainless Steel or super sport.Not real familiar with outboards.I have a friend that will be assisting me with rigging.He has lots of outboard experience on 12-18 foot fishing boats and pontoons.My boat is over 30 feet with appoximately 22 feet between the helm and transom.

Thanks for the help.

10. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

sorry ss = stainless steel

11. ben2go

Ahhhh.I'm on track now.You are referring to the engine and transmission controls.I was considering electrical since it was mentioned.Cables are of concern,just as you described above.

12. ben2go

What's the issue with stainless?That was going to be my plan since my power requirements are low and speeds were going to be slow.Thanks for educating me.

13. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

The props are way heavier so in a barge type non planning boat you will not get any performance advantage but a lot more wear and tear on the gearbox when changing gear on that gearbox where you will struggle to get full shift engagment due to the long cables.

14. ben2go

My boat is a non planning flat bottom boat.Here is my design pic of the 19 foot version.These are my designs to meet my needs which are,trailerable, extremely shallow draft, engine that can be lifted completely out of the water, beachable, sleep 6, and be fully self contained.My 30 foot version is all of that.A local boat dealership advised me to keep to my self about the 30 foot design.He thinks he can put me with the right people to refine my design
    and possibly make it sellable.Dunno if it will happen.I work for myself and food is getting harder to come by.I'm willing to give it a shot.

[​IMG]

15. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

OK
    So get the engine with the biggest diameter prop you can get

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.