Outboard parts

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Rangerspeedboat, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Rangerspeedboat

Rangerspeedboat Senior Member

Where is a good website or place that sells new/used outboard parts? Such as a Mercury 9.9 complete lower unit. I have found plenty of websites, but they all want a model # or something like that. I cant do that because I just want the complete lower unit, I dont have the outboard, I just need the lower unit. Maybe someone has a spare?

Any help guys?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

How can someone sell you a part, if you don't provide them with enough information. It's like say, "hay man, I need a carburetor, can you sell me a carburetor?" "Well sure, dude, like what kind of carburetor do you need?" "Like I don't know man, any old carburetor?"

Go down to the local boat repair shop and buy a used lower leg. They'll have a dozen or so of them laying around. You'll have to pay good money for one that actually works and you might get one for free if it doesn't.

3. Rangerspeedboat

Thanks for the help, I wanted to avoid going to my local boat shop and try to find a reliable source on the net.

4. Rangerspeedboat

I bought a complete outboard, Mercury 4.5hp, 20 bucks. The power head was ruined, but the lower unit is Ok. Now I just need to find a running 4 hp lawn mower engine.

First engine-bent crank, only 3 hp
    Second engine- Broken head bolt, broke an EZ out trying to get the bolt out.

5. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

the trick with coupling the lower and upper unit is to use the end of the old outboard crankshaft ..which has the internal splines and fasten that to the briggs and stratton ...then you can lower the briggs onto the top and make a spacer or support for the briggs ....if the shaft on the outboard is too long cut out a bit from the centre and get someone to make a sleeve and braze the two halves together in alignment ....unfortunatly not all these things are easy without a lathe....can they turn it at your school for you ??

you could of course mount the briggs on top to replace the bad power head ....
    Have attached some photo of a 4 hp Suzuki with a briggs on top goes good,,,

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.