Outboard power curves / fuel consumption

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Willallison, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I'm trying to get some sensible data on the current crop of mid-range 4-stroke outboard engines. Approx 60 - 70hp.
    Ideally I'd like to get hold of a proper prop curve, but o/b engine manufacturers are not as forthcoming as their diesel counterparts.
    About the only info I have is a specific fuel consumption of approc 0.4 pounds per hp per hour. I don't know how accurate this is for the current engines.....
    Any info would be greatly appreciated

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Will,
    At a 30hp load (estimated) that would be about 12lbs per hour or less than 2gph. I run a typical 18' outboard runabout w a 60hp Suzuki 4 cyl 4 stroke and I'm sure I burn about 2.25-2.5 gph. I run my outboards over the hump but no faster (lighter than most folks). So from my standpoint the .4 number seems a bit shy of the probable truth. What engine do you intend to run, on what size and type of boat, what load and how fast? This is going to be impossible to pin down as there are tooo many variables.

Easy Rider

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.