outboard power and design effect

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Guest, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Project boat questions:

I want to convert an older high performance deep Vee diesel boat into an outboard powered vessel using a bouyant bracket and multiple 4-stroke 225 outboards.

The vessel is a 44-foot Tempest 9'6" beam, very agressive and deep vee and with twin Cat 3208 and T-type surface drives weighs about 15,000 lbs.

Questions:
    When I remove the diesels I shave about 5000 pounds from the center of the boat (they are mounted mid-boat). When I add a bracket and 2 or 3 500 lb outboards the weight will shift rearward though some of the engine weight will be countered by the bouyant bracket (air tight/aluminum type).

What effect will this have on the boats sea keeping? Performance? Attitude? And slow speed manuverability?

Treefox

Many thanks to all who respond.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Normally inboard and outboard powered hulls are very different. The center of flotation is much more aft with outboards. The change you plan to make will make your boat float very low at the stern.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.