Outboard: port or starboard?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by jpriestley, Oct 23, 2006.

1. jpriestley

jpriestley New Member

I am about to mount an outboard engine off centerline and need to choose which side. Most installations are port side, but I have seen starboard, too. Anyone know if there is a difference, and, if so, why?

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Only reason I can see mounting an Outboard OFF - Center is to provide enough space for the Operator in a very narrow boat. The tiller arm is usually on the port side of the engine. Mounting the motor Off center will decrease thrust effeciency since the boat will tend to turn requiring the motor to be turned in order to maintain a straight course.

3. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Balance

On sailboats with the rudder hinged to the transom the motor must go to one side or the other. Most go left to avoid interference with the rudder/tiller and the motor's tiller. Balance is also a consideration, if the driver normally sits on the stbd side steering with his left hand, hanging the engine on the port side gives them room to operate the engine and some counter balance. Another concern is access to the shifting lever. It is normally on the right side of the engine. Placing the engine on the stbd side, sitting on the left will make a long reach to get in/out of gear.

4. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Good point Ken. I quess I only think in terms of power boats when outboard motors are mentioned.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

How big is the boat and how big is the engine.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.