Wave pattern drag

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by NavArch007, Jul 23, 2010.

1. NavArch007

NavArch007 Junior Member

Hi all,

Im currently doing research on optimizating speed for vessels in the 0.3 to 0.5froude number range. The main issue im trying to tackle is reducing the wave pattern drag; as you may know this is an important resistance criteria for such Froude numbers ( i.e. think kelvin wave humps and hollows).

Optimization of linesplan will be such that favourable interfarance of bow, stern and shoulder wave pressure systems occurs at operating speed (i.e. Fn) to reduce wave pattern drag.

Does any one know of any commercial potential flow solvers ( or other methods?) available to calculate and model the free-surface pressure wave flow over the length of the ship. THat would help in pinpointing favourable wave interference effect throughout the ship to reduce wave pattern drag.

Kindly revert back with comments and suggestions.

NavArch007

2. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

3. NavArch007

NavArch007 Junior Member

Thanks.

I shall investigate the program and i hope to be able to comment soon.

NavArch007

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.