Outboard Motors

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by WickedGood, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Cat,

Why do you think most Federal Regulations like this, and almost all EPA rules go into effect over the course of years, not months? The move away from more pollution engines today was enacted into law (or regulations) in the early 2000's. Sorry, but the fact that someone just started up a company today doesn't, and shouldn't, give them the ability to build an engine that the rest of the industry has known would be precluded for the last 5 years.

As for your suggestion that he can't afford an EPA certification... How much do you think those cost? I would bet that for less than 10,000USD you could have all of the certifications and test done. A lof of money to be sure for many people, but in order to manufacture an engine takes millions of dollars worth of equipment, none of which is being regulated. But just thinking about opening an engine fabrication shop without hydrolic presses, tube bending equipment, ect is a fantasy, unless you are just cobbeling together parts from existing crap.

Not to mention that IF someone comes up with an engine that meets the EPA regulations, and is significantly lighter than the existing market offerings, I can guarantee them all the money needed to set up a fabrication shop, or at least a manufacturer who will license the production with him holding the design rights. There is a wonderful thing called angel funding, and investment banking, and Initial Private Offering all of which can be used to generate millions if not billions of dollars in cash to get new ideas off the ground.

The real issue is it takes millions of dollars in R&D OR one great idea to create a revolutionary new product. And people like you would prefer that it is 'the man', or the government keeping them down. Instead of recognizing that your idea isn't really that good that keeps it out of the market.

So just a challenge to any designers, tinkerers, ect...

If you design and prototype any outboard engine that
    1) Meets EPS emissions requirements
    2) Weighs less than half of the current market offerings for the same rated horsepower
    3) Is price competative with the market (no 1,000,000 2hp engines)
    4) Show reliability comperable to existing market offerings

I will get you the funding and contacts needed to put such an engine into production. Further I will be willing to trade any and all legal work for the formation of the company for shares of the corporation.

Now get to building!

2. dskira

dskira Previous Member

It is an interesting proposition. But trying to be better than the one that exist is a lost proposition. It is going in the direction they don't go that a market can be developed.
    Outboard in the 50hp to 200 hp are over priced, due to the hundred of go-between.
    So price is not a problem.
    Going in the commercial direction, where the price is linked to the real value an engine can give back, make the proposition more feasible.
    A regular outboard is heavy anyway, so weight addition is not a problem.
    You have huge gap between the Harbor Master commercial type and the outboard for yachting.
    I suggest to research to fill this gap. For fisherman, small harbor tug, fire boat, heavy yacht, and so on.
    Taking the outboard of what it is, an easy interchangeable all complete system of propulsion. No through hull, no shaft "per se", nothing. Plug and play. It can attract attention.
    As you said, meeting EPA cost around $10,000. So it not a difficulty, and they are normally quite open. Why they don't want is people who try to cheat them with cheap Chinese crap. You take them seriously as a partner, they respect and work with you. Same for everything.
    Daniel

3. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Ok I cave in, but I need them, they make possible my living :D :D :D :D :D :D

4. wardd

wardd Senior Member

I once was talking to a guy that made his living off the government complaining about taxes

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...i wish i had to pay $1M a year in tax.....

6. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

AND, outboards have directable thrust!

-Tom

7. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Absolutely, make them very efficient in close quarter.

Daniel

8. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

The solution to pollution is dilution.
    It's not 2 stroke engines, old engines or any engine that's the problem.

it's

TOO MANY PEOPLE

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.