Remove VRO???

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by gadget300, Apr 13, 2012.

1. gadget300

gadget300 New Member

Hi,

I am in the process of doing up my first boat (17" shetland) and it comes with a Johnson 50 VRO. I have seen many youtube guides on how to remove the VRO part of the outboard and just mix the oil manually into the petrol. I have heard differing stories in which is the best way to go.

Anyone done the conversion or know more about this?

Thanks

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It works OK. Just make sure you get the mixture ratio right.

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

And what is the advantage?

4. gadget300

gadget300 New Member

well i can think of 2, less weight and space used as there is 1 less tank. Less servicing in the sense that you dont need filters for it either.

5. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

most people here used to disconnect the vro because so many engines have been wrecked by failed vro . i had a friend who was an omc dealer and they had quite a few blown engines come into the workshop for this reason. i would prefer premix any time, at least it can't fail.

6. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

No one would ever make an error mixing.

Absolutely failsafe.

Brilliant brendan.

7. CDK

CDK retired engineer

There probably are perfectly reliable mixing devices, but the VRO on Johnson/Evinrude from the 90's isn't one of them. The warning buzzer was part of the problem because it sounded so often for no valid reason that people had it disconnected. Or sometimes the buzzer disconnected itself on boats used in seawater.

I know a guy who taped over the red oil warning light in his little Fiat because it annoyed him and he knew there was plenty of oil in the oil pan. One day he called me asking to tow him back home: a rubber plug had popped from his engine, people had pointed at the oil trail he left on the road, but he thought they were only greeting him!

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Sounds like your going fishing--trolling perhaps which is what VRO is for.

When on full throttle the engine needs more lubrication than at idle.

Racing guys take it off because they are full on anyway and the consiquences of failure is normally terminal.

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Buy an Yamaha !! Mine works fine!!:D

10. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

missed this one last week. judging by your comments you have no outboard experience, how about you stop trolling and stick to your models.

1 person likes this.
  11. villacose

villacose Junior Member

I would never trust oil injection, it is probably the most common reason for 2stroke engine failure there is. in addition, the mix becomes the equivalent of around 100/1 in some cases. I run 32/1 on any two stroke I own regardless of what the manufacturer says and remove the oil injection unit entirely. they tend to vibrate loose, that is one problem, overheating and just plain shoddy design and materials another.

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

To all those than know nothing 2 stokes motorcycles have them. My little 110cc is 17 years old , I use it every day.

I had forgotten it had it, I use approx 1 liter of oil per year.

I never change the plug or clean it or service it of any kind.

13. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

What's a know nothing 2 stroke motorcyle, a moped?

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Sorry please put a comma after nothing and an R after 't' in stokes.

A moped is a motorbike with pedals.

15. villacose

villacose Junior Member

what kind of motorcycle is this? I have had lots of 2 stroke MC's and none of them had oil injection.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.