outboard engine LPG conversion

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by max50, Jan 25, 2007.

1. max50

max50 New Member

Is it possible to convert the new mercury v6 optimax engines to run on Liquid Petrol Gas (LPG) instead on gasoline?
    Does anyone have a link to someone that is in that bussines?
    Anyone that has a motor converted to run on LPG?
    Pictures?

2. Syed

Syed Member

1.You may loose considerable power as I experienced with my V6 Ford car, back in 1978. I did not enjoy the change and discarded it.
    2.Cold starting on LPG was not possible atleast in those days.

3. RAWRF

RAWRF Junior Member

I used to have a 1959 Ford F700 Flatbed truck that had been converted at the factory when it was built, and thus had never run on anything but propane. It started right up everytime and ran great. This was in 2004. But on a boat, with a tightly confined engine cowling, propane might be dangerous, you would really have to keep a close eye on your lines and pressure regulators so that they don't leak or you could have an explosion. You would also want to turn the propane off at the tank before you killed the engine to relieve pressure. I have never heard of a boat being converted to LPG, I personally don't think it is a good idea, but what do I know?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.