outboard engine covers-Painting procedures?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by valvebounce, Jan 30, 2013.

1. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

I have two Evinrude outboards,the engine covers are faded and a bit tatty looking.
    I was wondering what the procedure is for respraying them.
    Do they need a plastic primer first,and would it be advisable to lightly sand them?
    Is it better to add the new decals onto the new paint and then spray over the whole issue.I was thinking of using a metal flake paint that needs laquer over the top.i.e.Car paint.
    Any suggestions will be gratefully recieved.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is painted with car paint. You just need to fill the scratches and then sand it. The decals should go on after the paintjob.

3. valvebounce

Thanks Gonzo,I was a bit unsure because of them being subject to a marine enviroment.Nothing worse than doing a great job,and finding the paint flaking off or being easily chipped.

4. Jimboat

Jimboat Senior Member

Gonzo is 'right-on'. You can also get the OEM Evinrude paint to spray to match. Decals can go on after, no problem. Does a great job. I've done it more than once.

5. valvebounce

Thanks Jimboat,I have in mnd a volvo dark green colour with a metal flake,then maybe silver Evinrude Decals. This paint apparently needs a clear laquer over it for a finish coat.

6. valvebounce

I have a 13' 60's speedboat that I am converting into a pleasure fishing boat.
    All the timber on it was in a bad condition,including the stringers and transom.
    I have gutted it and have started to replace everythig,I have cut out the transom including the fibreglass stern section.
    I have purchased 2 gallons and one gallon of epoxy two part paint which I intend to paint the boat with inside and out,including the new deck when the renovation is complete.
    I will be applying the paint by brush.I didn't get any instructions with the paint apart that the mix is 2+1. Any ideas on how much paint to mix per session?
    I will be doing the job outside.The paint on the boat at the moment is cracked and crazed,and has some gelcoat here and there,but it has been painted a couple of times over the years.I will have to sand it down before I paint.
    Will the epoxy paint take ok if I just sand out the crazing?

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If this is a wooden boat, then the project may be rather complicated. You should get some books on boatbuilding and repair to start getting a grasp of the scope of the project. Epoxy coating an old wooden boat is likely to cause more damage and problems than solve anything.

8. valvebounce

My apologies Gonzo,
    The boat has a fibreglass hull,which is in itself pretty sound,apart from the transom,which is being completely replaced [Timber and fibreglass.]

So,what do you reckon?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.