stringers, frame members, and bulkheads in Free!Ship (freeship)

Discussion in 'Software' started by alanrockwood, Mar 27, 2011.

1. alanrockwood

alanrockwood Senior Member

I am playing with making a hull design with Free!Ship plus. Is there a way to add bulkheads, stringers, and frame members in Free!Ship plus?

One thing that might be a potential problem is that the surfaces typically do not include the control points, so it seems to me that designing the dimensions of these member may not be easy.

Plus I don't know if the software includes built in functions to support designing these members.

2. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

freeship is not a best software to do a stringers and frames do this in cad software

3. alanrockwood

Thanks. Is there a way to extract cross sectional and length sectional data from Free!Ship so they can be imported into CAD software?

4. Adler

Adler Senior Member

FreeShip 3.20+
    Menu

File
    Import / Export

5. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

6. alanrockwood

Thanks for the tips about saving as dxf.

I tried it and I was able to save various things, especially stations. I was able to save data as offsets and as dxf. I was able to open the offset files and examine them. I also loaded data into a plot program and viewed the cross section. I was also able to load the dxf files into doublecad.

I haven't found a convenient way of turning cross sections into frame members, though I did figure out an inconvenient way of doing it by manipulating the text files.

Can anyone offer additional hints?

Thanks.

7. liki

liki Senior Member

Depends a bit on how you are working with it, but "lofting" is the keyword. You'd better understand how it is done and what it accomplishes, then you'll know how to find out the required frame shapes. It is not hard at all, 1-2 hours of study should reveal enough information.

WoodenBoat Store sells a "Getting started - Lofting" guide digital copy for 0,99 USD iirc which would likely suffice, or I suppose a search on this site will reveal enough also.

Lazy people's way is to determine the frame positions required first, enter these into Freeship as stations and then export the stations and there you have it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.