outboard conversion

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ChrisUK, Nov 29, 2014.

1. ChrisUK

ChrisUK Junior Member

Thank you guys, extremely helpful. Im currently away from home so I cannot take any photos of the engine beds, however to give you an Idea of my issue I have posted a photo of the engine that I bought and would like to fit. As you can see, the cowling on the aft of the engine is too wide to fit, as the inside edges of the engine beds are 11 inches apart. What I would need to do is notch out around three inches deep by around six inches long from the beds.

For the front of the engine the same would need to be done to allow the feet to sit low enough to get the engine to line up with the shaft.

Attached Files:

2. dinoa

dinoa Senior Member

I like the idea of keeping it inboard. Cut back structural members and reinforce with epoxy-roving lay up of adequate thickness to compensate for missing wood.

Dino

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You have engine cross supports already made up for that engine, but this isn't the only way to do it. In other words, it's possible you could remove those supports and make up your own, on a narrower set of stringers. With a blue tipped wrench and some steel, you can do anything you want.

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Give us photos and dimensions and we'll have you on the water pronto. Cost you a meal of enough dark brew and lobsters to sustain one tidal cycle on Marsden Rock. :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.