Outboard carburetor nozzle/jet consumption?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by ryanonthebeach, Jul 3, 2009.

1. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Like Frosty said, changing to larger jets does not increase power, the jets are changed because other things have been done to increase power.

Smaller jets can make it run hot, resulting in holed pistons or seizing, larger jets make it run richer and dirtier, resulting in fouled plugs, carbon build up, broken rings and/or pistons.

This is one of the biggest misconceptions about outboards and increasing their HP.

2. ryanonthebeach

ryanonthebeach Junior Member

Ok We have established that,

There 15's carb must be delivering more AIR AND FUEL. So in addition to the larger jets there is this diaphragm thingy on the larger carb (see pics), could this be what's delivering more air?

Take a look at the pictures, the 15 has these extra parts:
    10 - DIAPHRAGM ASSY 1
    9 -COVER, DIAPHRAGM
    This is attached to a
    34 - CHECK VALVE ASSY
    15HP Carb
    [​IMG]
    9.9 Carb
    [​IMG]

Boat Speed

3. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

No, to deliver more air the carb body needs to be different, the throat needs to be larger. I don't see a number for the carb body, is it listed someplace else?

I only mentioned the jets because its so common.

4. ryanonthebeach

By George, I think you've got it!
    that makes sense now, thanks.... there isn't a part number for the body alone, part 1 is the CARBURETOR ASSY, that's the hole damn carb... guess they don't let you just buy the body for a reason.
    So I guess it's $218 for the entire carb and i have a 15HP
    or $100 for the correct size prop for the 9.9

Anything else I might need to change? as I mentioned all other parts are the same, have gone through all of them in excel. According to the manuals, Also the same is : valve clearance, bore, stroke, displacement, plug gaps

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ign timing will be different.

6. ryanonthebeach

Thanks guys, for all the advice, much appreciated.
    I'm going to order the carb. I'll let you know how it turns out and I'll update the boat speed and propeller selection article with the results.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.