Out of curiosity (Allison WWII engine like the V1710)

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by Schoonner, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Different forces do Different things. I have an idea that will create heat in the outside edge of the driveline around the turbines by smashing water molecules together quickly and repeatedly kinda like a microwave oven makes your food hot.

Then maybe the propeller is geared to the driveline and the driveline is geared to the engine. Both are geared through an infinite speed transmission so that you can spin the middle faster or slower than the prop or engine is going. (Used in SUV transmissions.) That driveline is on axis with the turbines and essentially IS the center of the turbines, or is geared to the turbines at whatever ratio ends up being best so that the exhaust gases can exert the most force that can be turned into work by the turbines.

Turbocompounding is different than turbocharging. Turbocompounding uses a different turbine that is specifically designed to recapture lost horsepower and turn the crankshaft with it.

"When a blowdown turbine is attached to an engine it will not reduce power due to exhaust gas flow restriction, since a blowdown turbine is a velocity turbine, not a pressure turbine as is a turbo supercharger."

Now, if you get tricky with the gear controls you have all kinds of engine to propeller ratios available as well as a blowdown turbine with three or four blades that spins at the perfect rpm in relationship to the velocity of the exhaust gases. .

Then a waterhammer, located along the axis of the driveshaft somewhere, smashes water molecules the way a microwave forces food particles to rub against each other. This creates heat, but, again it has to be spinning at the right prm. Many Many people have done experiments with all these technologies and have had promising results. Even if it doesn't create more heat than energybeing put into it,

So maybe you are right, get rid of the forced induction and just make an expensive waterheater that runs more efficiently by capturing more expansion... idk, but I plan to find out.

Basically what I'm doing is combining things that are already known to work into a complex shaft which is hollow except for turbine blades which is driven by the engine both with expansions in the combustion chamber and with expansions in the exhaust. I'm using the two added together in a way that will hopefully not cause a lot of mechanical losses. Then combining that with a water heater that runs off diesel and might be used to generate steam and replace some deck planking with it, or generate electricity.

Whether or not the potential work of gases forced into the drive line will overcome the forces hammering the water together is not really of importance. I can just leave the water out if I want to race or something, and I can get 1850 ft lb of torque out of a 455hp diesel at 1000 rpm in the very least. I just want to be able to fill up a hot tub in a nice gunkhole and get clean after sweating that I'll hit something I can't see for an hour or so while racing someone for fun and not have the weight of a waterheater.

2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

So Cummins,Mercedes,MAN,DD, etc etc have it all wrong?

I'd like to see your reasoning how it would be better to dump my turbocharged 635hp 10.5 litre engines and exchange them for much bulkier 20-30 litre non turbo engines that weigh a ton more each would be any better.

Then don't run around at WOT....not limited to just turbo engines.

BTW schooner,what would be easier,cheaper,simpler,and more efficient then all this fooling around: get a turbine.

3. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Yeah, but why, when I can get 20 to 50 more horsepower for your engines just by adding something that uses the rest of the forces left in the exhaust gases that your engine is not even burning to turn the crank shaft and run your forced induction at the same time off the same turbine. Maybe turbines are all that and a hot water heater full of hot water, but I don't have the money for one and if I wait I can have a nice big engine I could plausibly get 4000 hp and killer torque out of for a little while? I'll have to put a stick on my throttle a mile long so I have to move the throttle a mile to get to full throttle or make a governor that won't allow the stick to move too fast.

4. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

A turbine will last a very long time,weigh 10% as much,burn less fuel,and cost much less than your fantasy engine.
    I used to own a turbine boat with a friend-got out of it due to health ( staying alive) concerns.

5. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Don't forget has less parts, cleaner burn, and everything right? Actually, If I could get 3 knots with a human powered machine on a live aboard sailboat I would be really happy. =0)

6. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Oh, btw, I spent $300.00 for a 1978 & 1/2 Pontiac Forumla with a blown wrist pin. I wanted to stroke and bore it and put a huffer on it. Then found out that I'd been lied to and it was stolen. That's how I learned about engines. Also how I learned about cops. (My inheritance money ran out too fast. OoPsE! Don't loan all your money out... idiot! ((I was 18yo and couldn't prove that I loaned anything to anybody.)) I wish I'd spent my 19 grand on a sailboat. Something fast and seaworthy.

7. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

I WAS going to go somewhere with that last post, I promise, I guess I just forgot by the time it was supposed to get there.

Anyways, I don't have a chance of buying a turbine. I am just surviving in a 25ft RV because I'm disabled.

It all doesn't matter right now, The boat and it's engine, transmission, and controls and tanks, and everything are gone now. =0( Got hauled away to a dump somewhere this weekend so... uhh... GRRRRRR!:mad::mad: They paid $ to have it hauled when they could have made $1000.00 with the engine if the went somewhere other than craigslist.

(No, it wasn't a V 1710...)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.