Volvo Penta 290 Transom Template

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by xcrchar, Apr 27, 2011.

1. xcrchar

xcrchar New Member

I am in the processes of overhauling my fishing vessel, it currently has a 280 sp and I have all the necessary parts to convert to a 290 dp except the transom template which i have lost, i have tried local volvo marine dealerships with no avail , it is now close to the fishing season and i need the measurements for installation, if anyone has a pdf or even a hand drawn bitmap of the dimensions it would be greatly appreciated. I have converted the boat from outboard to inboard/outboard myself doing everything from electrical to fiberglass, and has provided me with years of reliable service ( with a few headaches of course )

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

volvopenta.com
    You can take the pattern from the transom shield for the cutout and bolt holes too.

3. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

gonzo, how high do i mount a 270 leg i am about to replace my shaft drives with a single diesel and 270 leg. i can not find any info on height, do you set the leg with the cav plate 1" below the bottom like an outboard.

4. whitepointer23

5. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

It may be right for a heavier cruiser, but it sounds low to me. I've never had a sterndrive with the anti-ventilation plate below the hull bottom. Always level with the hull bottom or 1/4" above.

6. whitepointer23

thanks imp, thats exactly what i needed to know, now i just need to make a template .

7. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

Wait for others to chime in. I only think in terms of lighter sport boats. And you only want to cut the transom once. ;)

In their install manual Mercruiser specifies their x-dimension by deadrise and speed. I'm surprised volvo penta doesn't have a similar table.

8. whitepointer23

i only have a service manual. i need an install manual.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.