Our Oceans are Under Attack

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by brian eiland, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myark

myark Senior Member

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

your 2nd video more worthless propaganda, same as first.
    I'm not wasting my time with any more of your videos, since you don't have the courtesy to even watch mine. You would have learned a little, but you don't want to.
    Go away kid, you annoy me.

For other readers, in the first video I posted:
    American shrimpboat trawls are required to be equipped with a government approved TED (turtle exclusion device) and a BRD (bycatch reduction device).
    These allow turtles and fish to escape and have to be at least 97% effective to be approved.
    In an earlier post I challenged Myark and Imaginarynumber if they knew the parts of and those part's intended use on trawls.
    TED and BRD was what I wanted them to acknowledge, but that question apparently went over their heads.
    They really should research more than propaganda talking points.

Myarks huge bycatch to lb of shrimp caught figures are LIES!
    The two videos I posted show catches of targeted species with very little bycatch..
    Don't believe alarmists on ANY topic. They're fanatics. Some, unprincipled fanatics.

3. myark

myark Senior Member

After analyzing several different kinds of data relating to biodiversity, researchers have stated that overfishing, pollution, and habitat loss will be responsible for a loss of most ocean species by 2048.

That’s when the world’s oceans will be empty of most fish, predicted an international team of ecologists and economists
    http://www.wakingtimes.com/2014/07/...see-salt-water-fish-extinction-just-30-years/

1 person likes this.
  4. Yobarnacle

Rave on?
    You are not original, just copying what I said earlier to you.
    Are you an evil echo?
    They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Don't bother imitating my words, it's boring.
    Get a life.

LOL I'm adding this statement to my post because you edited "rave on" from your post, I presume so you look less silly. lol.
    You are a strange bird, myark.

5. myark

myark Senior Member

"And I've smoked for more than 50 years! Still do."

Coronary artery disease has a number of well determined risk factors. The most common risk factors include smoking
    Personality characteristics including time urgency, competitiveness, hostility, and impatience is linked to an increased risk of coronary disease

6. Yobarnacle

I get hooked up to a computer and run on an inclined treadmill every year as part of my checkup.
    Not out of breath, or much accelerated heart rate, or elevated blood pressure during tests.
    Also I know how to breathe.
    Elevated CO2 levels in the blood stimulate shortness of breath, panting, and increased heart rate.
    Exhale forcibly when exercising, avoids these symptoms.
    Doctors tell me I have the heart of a horse. will NEVER have a heart attack.

Cancer? Heart disease?
    Has there been any studies of the percentage of smokers getting these diseases, are also heavy drinkers?
    None I know of.
    We frown on drinking in my family.
    All my grandparents smoked as did my dad and all lived to nearly 100.
    Only dad died of cancer, age 96. Cancer of the liver, which is now treatable.
    Not usually associated with smoking, but with drinking, yes, but dad didn't drink. Neither did grandparents. Nor I.
    Alcohol is poisonous. Why do you think people get hangovers?
    Susceptibility to heart disease and cancer is also genetically linked.
    I smoke and am healthy. YOU? Are YOU healthy? Do you drink alcohol?
    Rot your brain, other organs, and creates fat..

"It is thought the average smoker has about a 1 in 6 chance (16%) of developing lung cancer in their lifetime"

"You may know someone who smoked all their lives but lived to a ripe old age. Or you may know someone who never smoked but got cancer anyway. Does this mean that smoking doesn’t really cause cancer?
    Not at all. Years of research have proven that smoking causes cancer. But this doesn’t mean that all smokers will definitely get cancer or that all non-smokers won’t. It means that smoking greatly increases the risk of this disease. Smokers are, on average, much more likely to get cancer than non-smokers."

My guess heavy smokers are also more likely to be heavy drinkers. Addictive personality.
    Connection with drinking isn't popular so not studied.
    So much for objectivity of science.
    Anti-alcohol movement ran it's course during prohibition. Anti-smoking is currently in vogue.
    Surprised AGWers aren't blaming smokers for global warming.
    Control your OWN life, if you can, Myark. I have doubts you do. Considering your penchant to boss others.
    Supervising is hard work. You probably haven't had the opportunity or you'd be less anxious to control others, unpaid.
    Number two cause of death in USA? After number one heart attacks?
    Doctor error.
    Since I'm never ill, only see doctor for annual checkup, I've already reduced the greatest risk to my life. Avoid doctors.
    If I DO get sick, I'll visit a veterinarian. They're interested in restoring healthy animals, not maintaining sick ones.

7. myark

myark Senior Member

What a load of cobwash

8. Yobarnacle

http://www.biologyguide.net/unit2/4b_ventilation_heart_rate.htm

"Control of Breathing
    •Breathing rate is monitored by◦Blood CO2 levels - increase as more CO2 is produced as a waste product
    ◦Blood O2 levels - decrease as O2 is used up in respiration to produce ATP
    ◦Rate is more sensitive to changes in CO2 levels

•In the blood, carbon dioxide dissolves into hydrogen and bicarbonate ions◦CO2 + H2O ↔ H+ + HCO3-
    ◦Fall of CO2◾Equation shifts to the left
    ◾More CO2 is produced by removing hydrogen ions
    ◾This increases blood pH (more alkaline)

◦Excess CO2 (exercise) ◾Equation shifts to the right
    ◾More CO2 dissolves in blood to produce more hydrogen ions
    ◾This reduces blood pH (more acidic)

•Chemoreceptors◦Located in the aorta (aortic bodies) and common carotid arteries (carotid bodies)
    ◦Monitor pH and CO2 levels
    ◦Send impulses to the medulla
    ◦Aortic bodies monitor CO2 and O2 levels, and BP but NOT pH!
    ◦Carotid bodies monitors CO2 and O2 levels, and pH

•Exercise◦Increases CO2 / blood becomes more acidic
    ◦Chemoreceptors detect low pH and stimulate DRG and VRG in the medulla
    ◦Respiratory centres send more impulses via phrenic and intercostals nerves
    ◦Impulses arrive at diaphragm and intercostals muscles
    ◦Increases breathing rate and depth"

"Control of Breathing[edit]

Chemoreceptors detect the levels of carbon dioxide in the blood. To do this, they monitor the concentration of hydrogen ions in the blood, which decrease the pH of the blood. This can be a direct consequence of an increase in carbon dioxide concentration, because aqueous carbon dioxide in the presence of carbonic anhydrase reacts to form a proton and a bicarbonate ion.

The response is that the respiratory centre (in the medulla), sends nervous impulses to the external intercostal muscles and the diaphragm, via the intercostal nerve and the phrenic nerve, respectively, to increase breathing rate and the volume of the lungs during inhalation.

Chemoreceptors that regulate the depth and rhythm of breathing are broken down into two categories.[citation needed]
    central chemoreceptors are located on the ventrolateral surface of medulla oblongata and detect changes in pH of cerebrospinal fluid. They have also been shown experimentally to respond to hypercapnic hypoxia (elevated CO2, decreased O2), and eventually desensitize[citation needed] . These are sensitive to pH and CO2.
    peripheral chemoreceptors: consists of aortic and carotid bodies. Aortic body detects changes in blood oxygen and carbon dioxide, but not pH, while carotid body detects all three. They do not desensitize. Their effect on breathing rate is less than that of the central chemoreceptors.

Heart rate[edit]

The response to stimulation of chemoreceptors on the heart rate is complicated. Stimulation of peripheral chemoreceptors directly activates the medullary vagal center and slows the heart rate. However, a number of other factors are usually at play in this situation which obscure this response. These factors include activation of stretch receptors due to increased ventilation and the release of circulating catecholamines. Hence, although the stimulation of peripheral chemoreceptors causes bradycardia, this may not be the net result."

"Autonomic Nervous System (ANS)
    •Made up of 2 divisions◦Parasympathetic: stimulates vagus nerve causing ↓heart rate
    ◦Sympathetic: ↑heart rate

•Cardiac inhibitory centre◦Found in medulla oblongata of the brain stem
    ◦Connected to the heart by parasympathetic fibres found within the vagus nerve
    ◦Innervate SA and AV nodes
    ◦When stimulated, they trigger the release of acetylcholine (ACh)
    ◦This ↓heart rate

•Cardiac accelerating centre◦Found in medulla and upper thoracic spinal cord
    ◦Connected to the heart by sympathetic fibres
    ◦Innervate SA and AV nodes but also cardiac cells
    ◦When stimulated, they trigger the release of norepinephrine
    ◦This ↑heart rate and ↑strength of contractions
    ◦NB: norepinephrine is the international name for noradrenaline

•Both centres balance stimulatory and inhibitory effects of the ANS"

Myark won't learn, but the rest of you might.
    Proper breathing during exercise is important to reduce stress and symptoms of stress.
    Get rid of the system CO2..

9. Yobarnacle

Animals don't have health insurance or life insurance.
    Loss of livestock is financially devastating to farmers and ranchers.
    Perspective of veterinarians is entirely different than human doctors.
    I trust them more.
    Since vets are often located in remote ranching areas, far from hospitals, they also receive training in treating humans, being the nearest "doctor" available.
    USA Vet schools recognize this, and trains accordingly. Tissue is tissue, bone is bone, blood is blood.
    Humans and animals share some common diseases.
    According to below article, Canada might do, or be doing, the same training! Mexico does!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC340065/

"Logo of canvetj
    Can Vet J. Mar 2003; 44(3): 189–191.
    PMCID: PMC340065

An ethicist's commentary on when a veterinarian can render medical assistance to people

Bernard E. Rollin, PhD

This question is actually dual, legal and ethical. Not being a legal scholar, I will deal primarily with the latter, though legal ramifications of intervening must enter into one's moral reasoning. Exposure to liability in virtue of helping someone has been limited in many jurisdictions by Good Samaritan laws, which protect those who offer assistance of various sorts to people in trouble. The protection provided by these laws is consonant with common sense and protects the Samaritan's right to provide first aid, CPR, and minimal medical assistance that many people are likely to have mastered. It certainly would not protect me if, without cardiac surgical training of any sort, I cracked a chest and administered heart massage.

What the Good Samaritan laws seem to say ethically, is that citizens should not be discouraged from helping others at a rudimentary level commensurate with their expertise by fear of liability. This sounds like a reasonable moral position. We don't want a society where fear of a lawsuit prevents its members from helping one another.

When the Good Samaritan is a person who is medically trained, albeit not a physician, I would think that morally, the public is entitled to expect more in the way of emergency assistance than it expects of an ordinary citizen. The more training and experience in managing that sort of emergency, the more the public is entitled to expect. Thus a military medical corpsman or a veterinarian, both trained to control bleeding, could be expected to accomplish hemostasis in an emergency. Veterinary training for the first 2 years of veterinary school is virtually identical to that of human medical training. At one point, the State of Wyoming considered creating a medical school and training the medical students for their first 2 years at the Colorado State University (CSU) College of Veterinary Medicine. In fact, a graduate of a veterinary school is likely to have more training in surgery than does a medical school graduate.

Given that tissue is tissue and bleeding is bleeding, I would think that a veterinarian facing a laceration emergency with a human could be morally expected — and permitted — to treat the emergency.

The same reasoning should be applicable on a case to case basis, and moral obligation to help, as it were, titrated on the basis of expertise. An academic veterinary heart surgeon with 40 years of experience who has worked in human hospitals during sabbatical leaves is probably more competent to help in the situation described in this case than a physician dermatologist or recent medical school graduate. If the law does not currently embody this insight, it should be modified to do so.

In the spirit of our discussion, Dean Lance Perryman of the CSU College of Veterinary Medicine has made a novel suggestion. He has raised the possibility that, in rural areas deficient in physicians, veterinarians could undergo some additional training analogous to physicians' assistants, in order to provide rudimentary medical care in such communities. In fact, this already occurs de facto in some rural areas where veterinarians treat their clients' cuts and even fractures.

In sum, as regards the case in question, the veterinarian may morally provide emergency help, provided that he or she does not exceed his or her training and comfort level."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterinary_physician

"Curriculum comparison with human medicine

The first two year curriculum in both veterinary and human medical schools are very similar in the course names, but at certain subjects relatively different in content. Generally, the more basal the field of science is (for example: biochemistry, biophysics, cell biology etc.), the more similar it is. Later on when the courses get more clinically oriented, more significant differences arise. Where some things are completely different, and other things are about the same. Considering the courses, the first two year curriculum usually include biochemistry, physiology, histology, anatomy, pharmacology, microbiology, epidemiology, pathology and hematology.[18]

Some veterinary school uses the same biochemistry, histology, and microbiology books as human medicine students; however, the course content is greatly supplemented to include the varied animal diseases and species specific differences. Many veterinarians were trained in pharmacology using the same text books as human physicians. As the specialty of veterinary pharmacology develop, more schools are using pharmacology textbooks written specifically for veterinarians. Veterinary physiology, anatomy, and histology is complex, as physiology often varies among species. Microbiology and virology of animals share the same foundation as human microbiology, but with grossly different disease manifestation and presentations. Epidemiology is focused on herd health and prevention of herd borne diseases, and foreign animal diseases. Pathology, like microbiology and histology, is very diverse and encompasses many species and organ systems. Most veterinary school have courses in small animal and also large animal nutrition, often taken as electives in the clinical years or as part of the core curriculum in the first two years.

The last two year curriculum of the two fields are similar only in their clinical emphasis.[18] A veterinary student must be well prepared to be a fully functional animal physician on the day of graduation, competent in both surgery and medicine. The graduating veterinarian must be able to pass medical board examination and be prepare to enter clinical practice on the day of graduation, while most human medical doctors in the USA complete 3 to 5 years of post-doctoral residency before practicing medicine independently, usually in a very narrow and focused specialty. Many veterinarians do also complete a post-doctoral residency, but its not nearly as common as it is in human medicine.

Impact on human medicine

Some veterinarians pursue post-graduate training and enter research careers and have contributed to advances in many human and veterinary medical fields, including pharmacology and epidemiology. Research veterinarians were the first to isolate oncoviruses, Salmonella species, Brucella species, and various other pathogenic agents. Veterinarians were in the forefront in the effort to suppress malaria and yellow fever in the United States. Veterinarians identified the botulism disease-causing agent, produced an anticoagulant used to treat human heart disease, and developed surgical techniques for humans, such as hip-joint replacement, limb and organ transplants."

10. Yobarnacle

My own personal history, who cares if you believe it.
    As to your ability to detect cobwash, looking at YOUR OWN posts, I'd say you are no expert. :D

Anyway I refuted handily, any objection you might have had about breathing controlling physical stress, and the suitability of veterinarians treating humans.
    In natural childbirth, breathing is the primary focus to control stress. How more stressful can you get, than birthing a baby without anesthetic?

The connections between smoking, alcoholism, and heart disease, and general debilitation, are my opinions.
    Weakening the body does make you more susceptible to cancer and other ailments attacking immune deficient people.
    Want to argue whether alcohol weakens the body?
    I wish there was less political agendas and more objectivity and imagination in scientific research.

11. Yobarnacle

oh, I forgot one of my contentions. Support it here. I said doctor error 2nd leading cause of death.

Advanced Scientific Health exposes Leading Cause of Death

www.advancedhealthplan.com/leadingcauseofdeath.html - Proxy - Highlight

"The leading cause of death is doctors, learn more about side effects, medicine danger, malpractice, death by doctors,iatrogenic deaths, adverse drug reaction, medical errors, death rate, death by doctors, medical mistakes.

Doctors are in fact the LEADING cause of death in this country. Not heart disease, not cancer, not obesity that is claimed to develop from playing browser MMORPG games -- doctors. In all fairness, doctors themselves are not to blame for all of this. The entire modern health care system, however, is to blame for allowing, even promoting, so many unnecessary procedures drugs and mishaps."

Veterinarians don't do unnecessary procedures.

12. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

That's misleading in my opinion.

Adverse Drug Reactions 106,000 $12 billion Lazarou1 Suh49

How many taking those drugs would have died if they had no access to the drugs? Heart, diabetes, stroke?

Medical error 98,000 $2 billion IOM6

How many of those patients would have died if there was no doctor treating them?

Bedsores 115,000 $55 billion Xakellis7 Barczak8

These patients probably were very unhealthy and may have died anyway if they died from bedsores.

Malnutrition 108,800 -------- Nurses Coalition11

Would these patients have not died if they didn't have a doctor treating them anyway?

> Veterinarians don't do unnecessary procedures.

Animals can't complain about all the small things that reduce their quality of life. Hearing, vision, aches and pains. Most animals that veterinarians treat live short lives compared to humans and so they don't wear out their parts as much. Humans want quality of life at 70 ; many more procedures between 50 and 70 than between 1 and 20.

13. Yobarnacle

I am fortunate. My wife's brother is a doctor. Her cousin is a doctor. Our nephew is a veterinarian. He treats all the livestock on his father's ranches, his uncle's ranches, and the numerous ranches belonging to both his grandfathers.
    And has clients outside the family. If he (nephew vet) advised me to see a human doctor, I would. But, I'm never ill. I'd ask him first, if I was. He'd treat me, if he could diagnose my problem. Like if I needed a penicillin shot .
    My brother-n-law, the doctor, ALWAYS advises everybody to see a different doctor. Yet he is always taking my blood pressure whenever he sees me, wherever we meet. So, he cares but....anyway, I might as well see a different doctor the first time, since I know that's what he'll advise..
    My wife's cousin treats mostly women problems, although he is a GP.
    More urls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocratic_Oath

TOTAL 16.4 million 3.08 million **

www.doctoryourself.com/deathmed.html - Proxy - Highlight

It is evident that the American medical system is the leading cause of death and injury ... a medical error death rate of ... look at modern medicine.

Hospital Errors 3rd Leading Cause of Death | allnurses *

www.allnurses.com/ general-nursing-discussion/ hospital-errors-3rd-857124.html - Proxy - Highlight

A new study has come out ranking medical errors in healthcare facilities as the 3rd leading cause of death ... death was attributed to a medical error ... Doctor, as ...

Military Medical Misdiagnosis/Malpractice - Page 2 - WrongDiagnosis.com *

forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=34467 - Proxy - Highlight

"drug interactions are a leading cause of death in the US, and many drugs are ... 2nd, why your MRI didn't "show" disc damage is so unbelievable it probably ... If a doctor's negligence results in a successful FTCA medical malpractice

Preventable Medical Errors: Third Cause of Death in the US *

articles.mercola.com/ sites/ articles/ archive/ 2013/ 10/ 09/ preventable-medical-errors.aspx - Proxy - Highlight

Preventable medical errors are the third-leading cause of death in the US, ... “Ask to talk to the doctor about ... a major cause of chronic disease ...

Doctors Are The Third Leading Cause of Death in the US, Killing 225,000 *

articles.mercola.com/ sites/ articles/ archive/ 2000/ 07/ 30/ doctors-death-part-one.aspx - Proxy - Highlight

106,000 -- non-error, negative effects of drugs. These total to 225,000 deaths per year from iatrogenic causes!!However, this article makes it quite clear that the more powerful number is that doctors are the third leading cause of death in this country killing nearly a quarter million people a ...

14. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Senators Descend on Miami Beach to Talk Climate Change | NBC Miami

Florida politicians battle rhetoric as rising seas drive worries over climate change | Washington Post

How Climate Change Is Fueling the Miami Real Estate Boom | Bloomberg Businessweek

15. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

I agree with a few things you say. Medicine has become extremely specialized to the point of ridiculousness. It's not as good as it should be. I think you miss the big picture of what choice humans have though. If you suffered a major disease or affliction that threatened your ability to do things you might see things differently.

There is much money involved in providing risky solutions to people who have waited too long or by luck of the draw have come to a point where there is no safe option to restore their quality of life to what they want. Still, if I get to the point I want the option to take a gamble. I have older friends who have to make a hard choice of whether to treat a brain tumor or take drugs for cancer that could kill them for a small chance of curing them or have a major operation so they can walk. While this medicine may kill them they choose it because they want the chance of living the life they want. They don't want to die as a vegetable or too weak to get out of bed.