Our Favorite Quotes

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dskira, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Good quote!

Hunting is just just a primitive way of shopping for supper, nothing sporting about it. The animal is killed and eaten or maybe crawls away injured to die someplace, the hunter is only at risk from other hunters unless he's hunting something that can fight back.

I saw a bullfight once, never again. it was gory and primitive, and awesome too. You wouldn't understand unless you'd seen one. But I'll never forget the one bull that was struck in the lungs and slowly bled to death. It was a difficult bull, moving differently to the other bulls, and bullfighter was booed of the arena. Yet I might call him a sportsman, and certainly the one who got tossed; both put their lives on the line together with the bull's.

The way we raise animals these days leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. We have found a local butcher who deals only with local farmers who - he claims - treat their animals a bit more humanely than most, and we buy free range eggs when we can and free run eggs when we must. I have no problem eating meat - it's one of the things I'm evolved to eat - but I would feel a better person and be a member of a better species if ethical treatment were to be extended to the creatures we domesticate for our own purposes.

But as Myark's other quote from Pete Singer notes, we still have a long way to go before we treat other humans ethically throughout the world. I don't hold that either should come about before the other. The two are simply reverse sides of the same coin; heads or tails, it's still tarnished by the manner in which it is earned.

2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

OK... But it's an idiotic thing to say, whoever said it.:)

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Interesting quote. Complicated, of course, by the fact that white slavers bought most of their black merchandise from other blacks, instead of capturing their own .... and it would have been more accurate had he said some white settlers hunted aborigines.

Of course, he could also have mentioned that the Aztecs were cutting hearts out of live captives long before the whites ever got to the Americas, then roasting and eating their arms and legs.

In other words, I think he's focused a little too much on white guilt. He really doesn't have to narrow it down like that; there's plenty of guilt to go around for other races and cultures, too.

But getting back to his point, instead of his examples: the reality is that we're designed to eat other life, as opposed to getting our sustenance from the soil and the sun. So what does Mr. Singer want to draw that circle of ethics around? Wild animals, especially the ones that Disney has made cute movies about? Wild and domesticated animals and birds alike?

How about fish? Crustaceans? Yeasts and mushrooms? Cabbages and tomatoes? We haven't gotten to the point where we can synthesize our food yet, so we need to come to grips with the bottom line: we kill other living organisms for a living.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we shouldn't draw a line; I wouldn't hack up a dog like I'd hack up a cabbage. But where to draw it is a little more complicated than the average PETA member realizes....

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Correct ethics means no waste.

Killing then Eating animals, fish, birds..... is what humans do for a living. Go for it... just no waste , dont over consume and no killing or destruction for sport and lifestyle reasons .
    The majority of endangered species are endangered not due to hunting but habitat destruction to make way for human lifestyle needs.

Factory farming simply needs proper oversight and regulation

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

If you define 'sporting' as a fight to the death between equals, you're talking about warfare - not hunting.

Sportsmanship doesn't mean you're giving your prey a fifty-fifty chance to get away or kill you, any more than a fair trial means the judge and prosecutor are giving a suspect a fifty-fifty chance to be acquitted.

add: as Michael pointed out, sportsmanship is a matter of ethics.

6. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

No, warfare is not about fighting between equals. Every effort is made to tip the odds heavily in ones favor.

7. ImaginaryNumber

You obviously don't agree with the quote, but it certainly is not idiotic.

8. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Please post your favorite quote gentleman.
    Don't forget it.
    I can say that, it's my thread :p

9. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Umm - that is news to me, not that that point exonerates the slave traders at all.

Well, some active shooters true, but years upon year of subtle ostracizing, chasing off their land, forced communities, economic blackmail, persecution etc. , the percentage of blame is very high.

All in all, quoting the occurrence of previous primitive behavior is no justification for any person.

On the other side of the argument, farming is a much kinder approach than hunting, with painless, lower stress for the animals, and less danger for humans ( remember humans, they are important too ).

Maybe humankind will become a much more caring, co-operative species, but there are a lot of other things besides meat eating that have to be changed before that happens.

lets start on religion ......

10. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Please post your favorite quote gentleman.
    Don't forget it.

I can say that, it's my thread :)

11. dskira

dskira Previous Member

But I will give back to Ceasare what's belong to Ceasare:

Hoyt mention on the post number 2:

"Perhaps this would be a good place for us to compile our favorite quotes. What do you think?"

He is the real inventor of this thread.

So gentleman, please continue with "quotes"

12. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

13. ImaginaryNumber

As Myark pointed out earlier, the human digestive system is not adapted for either a predominately meat diet, nor an exclusively high-cellulose herbivorous diet, but for an omnivorous fruit-leaf-occasional mouse diet.

And now for some of my favorite quotes ;)

ALIVE | History of the Human Diet
    SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN | Human Ancestors Were Nearly All Vegetarians
    NATIONAL INSITUTES OF HEALTH | Animal v. plant foods in human diets and health: is the historical record unequivocal?
    (It's no fun reading quotes if you can't also comment on them, and comment on the comments...)

14. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

15. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

If we were all vegetarians, we would all die .

Animals graze, store the energy in their bodies, then humans harvest this stored energy by eating the animal..

Its a natural cycle...vegetarians are neither natural nor sustainable, Omnivores are

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.