Our Favorite Quotes

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dskira, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I will test the brain of a hillbilly against yours any day.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

"If you take in a stray, starving dog, feed it and nurse it back to health, it will never bite. This is the essential difference between dog and man" . . .

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

If your wife is at the front door wanting in and your dog is at the back door wanting in, who do you let in first?

--The dog. At least he'll shut up once he's inside....

Do you want a quick estimate of where you stand? Lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour, then open it up and find out who's glad to see you.

Terribly unfair, I know. Funny anyway? Yes.....:D

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Have they come up with tests now that can detect a hillbilly Brain?

"Son, ah jes' don't know whut ah'm gonna do with you. I done sent you to school for years, bought ya a ton a' books -- an' ya still spell taters with a 'P'!"

Most of the redneck jokes can substitute 'hillbilly' and stay funny:

You know yer a redneck when you:

-walk your dog, and you both use the same tree at the end of the block.

-have a toothpick in your mouth on your way into a fancy restaurant.

-have mail delivery to your deer stand.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

"Outside of a dog, man's best friend is probably a good book. Inside of a dog, there's just not enough light to read . . . "

6. hoytedow

You know you are a liberal if:

you consider Rush Limbaugh to be a disgusting, racist, unintelligent pig even though you have never actually heard him speak before.

you scream and holler that the US government isn’t setting aside enough money to feed impoverished nations around the world, yet you have never sent even one dime of your own stash to help.

you feel that global warming is a bigger threat to our country than radical Islam.

http://bloggingformeatballs.com/blog/politics/you-know-youre-a-liberal-if/

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same. "

Oscar Wilde

8. hoytedow

By the way, the original "redneck" was a striking unionized coal miner.

9. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Not the way I recall it. It was used years ago to describe a farmer who had acquired his "red neck" honestly by being out in all weather. The term has become derogatory over the years . . .

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I'm surprised you're familiar with that use of the word; most people don't know about it. But the term redneck had already been around for a while, before it started being applied to union coal miners.

From Wikipedia:

The term characterized farmers having a red neck caused by sunburn from hours working in the fields. A citation from 1893 provides a definition as "poorer inhabitants of the rural districts...men who work in the field, as a matter of course, generally have their skin stained red and burnt by the sun, and especially is this true of the back of their necks".[10]

By 1900, "rednecks" was in common use to designate the political factions inside the Democratic Party comprising poor white farmers in the South.[11] The same group was also often called the "wool hat boys" (for they opposed the rich men, who wore expensive silk hats). A newspaper notice in Mississippi in August 1891 called on rednecks to rally at the polls at the upcoming primary election:[12]

Primary on the 25th.
    And the "rednecks" will be there.
    And the "Yaller-heels" will be there, also.
    And the "hayseeds" and "gray dillers," they'll be there, too.
    And the "subordinates" and "subalterns" will be there to rebuke their slanderers and traducers.
    And the men who pay ten, twenty, thirty, etc. etc. per cent on borrowed money will be on hand, and they'll remember it, too.

The United Mine Workers of America (UMW) and rival miners' unions appropriated both the term redneck and its literal manifestation, the red bandana, in order to build multiracial unions of white, black, and immigrant miners in the strike-ridden coalfields of northern and central Appalachia between 1912 and 1936. The origin of redneck to mean "a union man" or "a striker" remains uncertain, but according to linguist David W. Maurer, the former definition of the word probably dates at least to the 1910s, if not earlier.

11. hoytedow

Why are you surprised? I did tell you I was from Eastern Kentucky Hillbilly background didn't I?

Google "Paint's Creek" and "Blair Mountain". Paintsville (on the banks of a different Paint Creek, which feeds the Big Sandy River in Kentucky, not WV) did not exist until founded by my antecedent in the first half of 1800's.

My uncle was a WV Blair, who made frequent trips there when Johnson County was dry.
    I lived a mile down the road from Loretta Lynn's house in Van Lear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paintsville,_Kentucky

"... According to industrial folklorist George Korson, non-union miners derisively called strikers "rednecks" in the Appalachian coalfields..."

12. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

It remains a basic truth of human nature that a uniform is all that many men need to dissociate themselves from the evil they commit.

13. SheetWise

Someday we'll look back on this, laugh nervously, and change the subject.

14. SheetWise

Multi-culturalism is the curious fiction that a rabies virus can peacefully coexist with its host.

15. SheetWise

The chief source of problems is solutions. ---- Eric Sevareid's law

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.