Tenders and Dinghys

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Gentlemen your opinion please.

I have seem many "Rubber Ducks" hanging of the back of 34 / 38 foot Cats equiped with small 5hp? outboards.
    Wouldnt it be better to have a solid dinghy (GRP etc.) rather than a "rubber". Somehow to me an inflatable is ugly!

When you are anchored further offshore and have to fetch fuel and supplies, doesnt a bigger dinghy that can - row - sail - motor makes more sense. Small Outboards get stolen, especially if you visit the local tavern for a bite. I would love to have 35 sq.m sail handy when the row is just a little too far.
    http://www.glen-l.com/designs/sailboat/bullseye.html
    http://www.bateau.com/studyplans/V10_study.htm?prod=V10

Attached Files:

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

The rubber does not hurt the hull like a hard tender will.

The inflatables are usually more stable and not as skittish to enter or exit.

The inflatable can be stowed inside when deflated rather than taking up deck space on a long cruise. The is important on a small yacht in bad weather.

Rick W.

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Rick nailed the reasons to have an inflatable. Reasons not to: They are horrible to row and can't be sailed..
    Bigger towable solid ones are great to use but... I've lost one in a gale so not good either..
    I'm becoming a fan of a Nester Dinghy. Dave Gerr presents a couple in his book The Nature of Boats (pages 79-81).

4. yipster

yipster designer

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Totally agree there Manie, it is unseemly to be seen in a motorised contraceptive, not only that if and when the engine breaks down (it will - invariably in a blow) it's virtually impossible to row, unless very lucky it'll kill you! The only time I can justify them is if your in the water trying to get out!

A solid 'dink' is much safer (as long as you don't fall out) more comfortable and has alternative means of propulsion (can even double as a recreational craft)! No I'm afraid for me there's no comparison!

But a 'folder' no way Jose, had me a folding canoe in my youth and it did! fold I mean, normally as you were crossing a choppy bit of water with something large bearing down on you at speed! Taught you the meaning of fear that did! ('tis brown in colour and smells awful! sticky too!)

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Safewalrus i tried to row the dam contraceptive - 8 at night - dark - moderately intoxicated :D (clever words hey) and my oh my - it was easier to get out and SWIM rope around the neck - tow the stoopid thing

7. safewalrus

Now that I believe! Had me an effort in a force 8 blowing onshore, rocky beach - very bloody rocky! Only one short stretch of sand! The engine failed (we were in an anchorage, inside the harbour, ships contaceptive - quite large) the engine failed as I was coming under the falls to be hoisted............thank the lord for that sandy bit! No bloody choice! then of course there was the day in Simontowns bay approaching the Naval dockyard, single fall, the boat was lowered but not properly, the boat turned over (not the fault of the boat more the incompetant bugger in charge of lowering it)! did you know that when a five gallon drum of petrol falls on your head from only three foot above it can knock you out? I do!

And theres more, certainly not my favourite boats...........

8. masalai

masalai masalai

A little fattish tunnel hull tender - then it will not be soooo tender

(and carry those 14 blonds out to your boat:!: :eek: :cool: :eek: :?: all at once so no-one gets away.... Hores oars horse whores needed to paddle the boat out... to your gin-palace / floating bedroom / boodure / play-sex thing...?)

9. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21175

This is a link to a dinghy that is stirch and glue, I was reamed by the fellas here for my comments about it, but it may serve your purpose well.

I still do not like stitch and glue, but am happy to let others decide for themselves. (oh his wife is a gem!, likes boats, can dig worms and can cook)

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Found It

Here is a pic of exactly what i had in mind.:D

Cool dinghy.:D

This is a picture of my idea of perfection, my favourite boat.:D

Attached Files:

11. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

The boat is OK Manie but I'm not a fan of tubs hanging at the stern either. Terrible thing when it hits by a wave behind..

12. masalai

masalai masalai

2 Easy Manie, you intend to build it here? He lives a bit north of me... Lots being built...

There is a nice tender being built Townsville/Whitsundays somewhere - saw it several years ago - "dingo" in the name & I saw a demo with a heavish (90kg) man standing well over on the side - no tip...

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

By the way - the diseases called "buildus boatus" or "cruisus catus" could they ever find a cure. I think the poor folk that are afflicted with these diseases suffer immensely, it is a form of cancer after all.;)

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Sorry those are not really useable as boat names...

For dedicated cruising yachts-people "toopiare" could suit, as one would desire to stay "on the circumference"

Of course for those who seem to get lost "Fugawe" is taken ("F Troop" TV series and a navigation package) - see your local gps dealer. There is still "fourthirdspiaresquared" or whatever the formula for the surface area of a sphere is, but to be truthful one would have to wait for global flooding... In that vein, "sixtypercent" or whatever the percentile of this earth's surface is water covered...

A lost Island language has a word for "I'm back/home/safe" sounds like "Fa'aQue" for a boat name?

In France, a word "flaneur" was used (amongst other meanings) to describe the one who indolently wanders about absorbing and observing the culture... That would make a nice boat name and to get back on topic (sort-of) the dingy/tender could be called "flannette"

15. safewalrus

Aye, the main thing they tend to suffer from is stupid names, but hey why not!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.