1952 Orlando Clipper Speedster - Steering Cable connection behind steering wheel

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Stuman, May 7, 2020.

1. Stuman

Stuman Junior Member

Hello, I just purchased a rare find a few days ago. 1952 Orlando Clipper Speedster - it has been sitting since 1996 - it has a 1958 Gale 35HP Outboard motor. I haven't tried to start yet. It is setup like a bass boat with bow plate and windshield removed with front and rear fishing seats.

**I am in need of a little help on securing steering cable the pully behind the steering wheel. The pullies has holes on each pully so it would be two different cables which operates left and right turns.**

If someone can provide pictures or part # for what I need to hold the end of cable on the steering wheel pullies.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

3. Stuman

Stuman Junior Member

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Yes, the old systems were cable over sheave pull-pull systems. The end of the cable at the wheel was generally a swaged ball or cylinder, like bicycle brake and shifter cables still are. On some set-ups the cable was continuous with (sometimes) a cable clamp on the wheel pulley. A picture of the wheel pulley would help. See this youtube video for the basic concept of a swaged end fitting.

5. Stuman

Stuman Junior Member

B0C363A3-D7DF-4384-AFB6-C5D1A1C38DE1.jpeg

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can get them anywhere online. Amazon is a good source. You will also need the bar that goes from the outboard to the end of the cable. Does that outboard have a threaded tilt tube?

7. Stuman

Stuman Junior Member

ok the video explains what I need to find. Would Home Depot or Lowe's have Swaged end fitting?

8. Stuman

Stuman Junior Member

9. Stuman

Stuman Junior Member

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Clamps are better because they allow you to adjust the tension on the cable. New cables will stretch and will need to get tightened.

11. Stuman

Stuman Junior Member

So, would I need Two Turn Buckles ? One for each side cables to adjust?

12. Stuman

Stuman Junior Member

Never mind I just re-read your reply. Clamps to adjust the tension. lol

13. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

You just use one cable and pass the cable ends in from the front of the hollow steering pulley and through both holes so you have 1/2 the cable coming out of each hole, then wrap around the steering wheel pulley and then back to the motor.

If one cable clamp or a pulley lets loose while you're boating, the other will pull the motor over sharply which can be a nuisance at speed.

A 3/32" plain cable will probably wreck the plastic pulleys quickly.

14. Stuman

Stuman Junior Member

Ok, I got it now. So the cable would be wrapped (4x's ?) in opposite directions ?

15. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

That you’ll have to figure out in terms of how much travel does it take to go from dead center to full turn, and at least an extra turn on the drum to avoid flexing/breaking the cable where it dives in.
    Hopefully the springs in the transom corners will allow enough room to tilt the motor up while still holding enough tension to keep the cables tight when underway.

Stuman likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.