Whats a good hull design program

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by h1h2h3, Jun 21, 2011.

1. h1h2h3

h1h2h3 New Member

Hi all, I’m in my in my 2nd year of my engineering degree and quite good at using auto cad and would like to move into the field of hull design. Ranging from rc models to somewhere along the lines of 20m. What I would like to know is this, what computer design program/programs should I become most familiar with? I would like the program to have a material library, flooding simulation of how the hull will perform offshore. The interior is not important to me I realize how ever this will affect the weight distribution and will counter for this by programming in dud weights. The appearance of the hull is also not important to me I simply want a design program that will allow me to design and simulate hulls in offshore conditions and how they will perform. I sure there would be another forum post on this site that would be able to answer my question however I haven’t been able to find one. I thank all in advance for any advice/help:D

2. h1h2h3

h1h2h3 New Member

sorry all am new here this was my first post and didn't realize this was posted in the design area and not the software section:eek:

3. Kestrel

Kestrel Junior Member

4. h1h2h3

h1h2h3 New Member

thanks krestel i have had a look and with the most popular program being maxsurf, but it seems to be more suited towards larger ships/boats i'm looking for somthing better suited to smaller craft. how ever im not too familar with that program and it's capabilities

5. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

You can design any sized boat in Maxsurf.
    Get the student version and give it a go.

6. h1h2h3

h1h2h3 New Member

will check it out of sure crag thank you for your input im still a noob in this area

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.