ORMA 60 Class in Trouble?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Jan 20, 2007.

1. oceancruiser

oceancruiser Previous Member

Send them a e-mail and ask them. The reply would make good reading on your website and would prove valuable and make your website more informative and credible re being on the case so to speak compared to other sites. It certainly would in time attract more viewing. I would assume they would classify as a new build, and if the hulls are being re built why not comply.

Latest race in N.Z. all inboards motors only multis and monos.

The other querrie I have is they insist on hand bilge pumps [2] 25 gph but not electric bilge pumps. I would have though for monos they should be compulsory at the min rate 3000 gph per 15ft boat lenght because they sink at a alarming rate, time wise and time is crucial in a mono when a skin fitting decides it is use by date time or the vessel is hulled. No way will 2x 25 gph hand pumps keep abreast of a 3/4 inch hole in the hull and most holes are far bigger especially in a fork lighting direct hit, where the whole chain plate area plus is blown away.

Why is it multis have to have escape hatches and monos don't when most mutis sandwhich construction or wood - Chris White multis don't sink even inverted. But there have been plenty of mono hulls inverted when they loose there keels, but don't have escape hatches and arn't beng asked to have escape hatches. All the books on survival multis have never had escape hatches in the past, never sunk and the crew have all escaped and re entered daily to gain supplies for food, portection from the elements and what ever at will. The longest period was approx 7 months.

OC

2. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

The issue of escape hatches on monos is a good one. The current rules don't apply fairly to big monos and small ones, IMHO, and the number of high aspect keels failing is scary.

On the other hand, I can't recall a single incident where a mid-aspect (e.g. Farr 1020/'70s IOR style) keel suddenly fell off a boat. There were some boats that sank after such keels became loose (e.g. Viking 30 Copper Top of WA about '85, Frers 40 The Adjuster in the Hobart about '96). I did some calcs a while back that showed that there were something like 70-100 or more monos racing offshore in Oz to each multi and the track record of the bog-standard cruiser/racer is very good considering the numbers.

Pump capacity is a good point but on the other hand AIUI there are plenty of cruising multis that would NOT float very high, if at all, when holed. And can we use "the books on survival multis" as proof that you don't need escape hatches, because if you die because you don't have one (which IIRC may have been the case with Bandersnatch and Privateer) then you don't get to write a book about it......

3. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Chris makes a good set of points there.
    However in the cases of Bandersnatch and Privateers losses, the loss was not from capsizing or pitchpole, but from structural failure, where an escape hatch may not have helped.

4. oceancruiser

Are you saying they both where built before Jan 2003.
    After 2003 they it would appear are required to have 2 hatches.

Has team Australia entered the coastal classic.

OC

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Yes they would have both been constructed prior to that date TVS then Geant and TA then Banque Populaire IV competed in the storm ravaged 2002 Route du Rhum. Mich Desjoyeaux on Geant had to stop several times for repairs but won the event and Banque Populaire IV went well North and avoided the worst of the weather but sat becalmed for about three frustrating days finally finishing third. I must dig out a magazine I have on the event it has an excellent article on the race and retirements.

I've not heard if TA intend to enter the Coastal Classic it would be great if they did.

6. oceancruiser

The article would be great would appreciate a copy sent to my e-mail if you would. Surely both had rebuilds when they where purchased.

Suggest you contact team Australia and suggest they enter. They have expressed interest in entering the Feb 2014 Race starting Auckland unless it is a fasle entery. Been some false enteries like ETNZ and others.

7. oceancruiser

Was TV bottom rebuilt and new cross beams as a result in the design faults with other 60's. The floats bows seem different.

Do you know.

OC

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Possibly, the ORMA60's were in constant change season to season with everyone trying to squeeze out a little more speed. On Foncia for example they cut the whole of the main hull from the waterline down off one season and replaced it with an upgraded shape for better efficiency.

you can read about all of the mods that were carried out season to season on VPLP's website under the news tab

http://www.vplp.fr/flash/index_vplp-3.html

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.